Windows 8 recovery after partition not being recognized

plyer3

Limp Gawd
I have a Toshiba laptop. Just recently upgraded hdd to ssd and had whole disk cloned using ToDo Total Backup.

Now I need to do a system recovery but windows 8.1 is not recognizing the recovery partition. The recovery partition is there but windows nor toshiba programs can create a recovery disc or go through with recovery. Everytime it says either please insert recovery media or can't find hdd recovery.

Pressing 0 and powering up won't bring out recovery as partition isn't being recognized for some reason. Made a windows 8 recovery usb stick but the installation says it's not sure if this laptop is compatible so it can't go through. Don't have the original hdd anymore so this is my only option. Boot menu doesn't have the recovery option either.

I need to do a completely recovery because laptop keeps freezing up.

I believe the Todo Total Backup messed up the partition structure and now windows 8 won't recognize the hdd recovery for some reason.

Been working on this for 12 hours with no luck.. I've literally googled and tried everything. About to give up and spend $40 to order the recovery media off toshiba but this is such an old laptop that it's not worth it.

Any clues?

It's Windows 8.1 ... how can it be "such an old laptop"? If you upgraded to 8, just use your media to reinstall.

Also, try rebooting Windows into recovery mode (hold shift and click restart on Modern UI) and see if you can recover a factory default image from that.

I think you're SOL with the recovery partition. I've never used ToDo for cloning drives that have multiple partitions. The recovery partition; what is the format showing for it? Is the partition being recognized in the BIOS as a properly-formatted disk, or is it showing as raw/unformatted? You can also make sure that the recovery partition is actually mounted in Windows--go to Computer, right-click, select Manage, then Storage>Disk management, and look for the partition--right clicking on it will bring up an option to mount it (if not mounted).

It's Windows 8.1 ... how can it be "such an old laptop"? If you upgraded to 8, just use your media to reinstall.

Also, try rebooting Windows into recovery mode (hold shift and click restart on Modern UI) and see if you can recover a factory default image from that.

What I meant is not old but cheap that it's not worth fixing. That didn't work. I've tried that. Toshiba didn't provide any physical media for recovery, just the recovery partition.

I think you're SOL with the recovery partition. I've never used ToDo for cloning drives that have multiple partitions. The recovery partition; what is the format showing for it? Is the partition being recognized in the BIOS as a properly-formatted disk, or is it showing as raw/unformatted? You can also make sure that the recovery partition is actually mounted in Windows--go to Computer, right-click, select Manage, then Storage>Disk management, and look for the partition--right clicking on it will bring up an option to mount it (if not mounted).

I've used ToDO so many times in the past, the second laptop I used it on last night worked perfectly with multiple partitions. It's showing NTFS and visible from My Computer. It's not being recognized by Bios, and it didn't show up when I go into recovery mode from boot menu and nothing from recovery mode after starting laptop. It's mounted, and shows healthy in disk management. Computer sees it, but somehow Recovery and Boot menu do not.

Back