Windows 8 RDP issues

I am seeing an issue with being able to RDP to Windows 8 PC's in the last week.

I can VPN to a location, get on the network, and RDP to any of my Win 7 PC's with ease. When I try to RDP to my Win 8 PC's, the connection acts like it's not listening for it.
I have checked the remote settings, they are on, but, the were using NLM, (which I did not set). I turned that check box off, and still have the same issue.
I am seeing this at another location as well. The Win 8 PC's are Pro, one is 8.1 and one is just 8.

Win 8 / 8.1 RDP is a pain in the arse. Took me a little while to figure it out. The way it works for me is I have to know the User name and their password to be allowed to RDP to that machine, Win 7 and XP would just go straight to the DT after putting in the IP.

Edit: I still haven't found a way to turn off the User and Login question on RDP in Win 8, its very annoying.

Last edited:
I think I got it. The service Remote Desktop Connection Manager has been changed to Manual startup instead of Automatic like on my Win 7 PC's.

Obviously, you have to do this locally, so I'll have to test it later.

This may not apply but in my environment we have AD separate OUs for our XP, 7 , and 8 workstations, while group policy configures the windows firewall RDP exception for XP, and 7 someone forgot to do the same for the windows 8 OU. May be worth checking out if you have not already figured it out.

It's a workgroup environment, no AD. You make a good point on the firewall though.

The issue I have now is that I am trying to set up and install a Hyper-V 2012 server (not server 2012) and the way you configure it is to connect via RDP, no local GUI.

So, I need to find a way to remotely enable the Remote Access Connection Manager via CMD or Powershell.

Any PS guru's?

I can VPN to a location, get on the network, and RDP to any of my Win 7 PC's with ease. When I try to RDP to my Win 8 PC's, the connection acts like it's not listening for it.
I have checked the remote settings, they are on, but, the were using NLM, (which I did not set). I turned that check box off, and still have the same issue.

Are you fully patched? Are they? There was a faulty RDP update about a year ago.

Yes, fully patched. This has just happened in the last week, I can't say which day though. I also can't get in right now to check on the installed updates yet.

Last edited:
It's a workgroup environment, no AD. You make a good point on the firewall though.

The issue I have now is that I am trying to set up and install a Hyper-V 2012 server (not server 2012) and the way you configure it is to connect via RDP, no local GUI.

So, I need to find a way to remotely enable the Remote Access Connection Manager via CMD or Powershell.

Any PS guru's?

If I understand you correctly you should be able to try the following from command line. Works like a charm for me. Have not tried with powershell though.

SC \\server start rasman

Example: SC \\PC.HARDOCP.COM start rasman

Remote Access Connection Manager (rasman) is dependent on Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol Service (sstpsvc) so you may have to start that as well.

Last edited:
Okay, I have checked my Win 8 PC and it did indeed have the RASMAN service stopped. I set it to automatic, rebooted and voila!

-Something changed all of them on this network, and it wasn't me. :) No idea.
I checked my Windows Updates and found that I am getting the Windows Defender updates everyday, but not a real update that would have broken it. Again, no idea.

I did not type the "sstpsvc" before the command SC \\WIN8-I7 start rasman.

Now that I am in locally, I can turn all these settings back on.
Awesome help everyone. Thank you!

Back