Windows 8 Pro Upgrade transferability?

RangerXML

Supreme [H]ardness
So I've been googling this for the last hour and I've been finding 2 conflicting reports as to how transferring your Windows 8 Pro Upgrade license from when the $40/$15 upgrades were happening to a new machine. I'm planing on building a new machine in about a months time. I have 2 Windows 8 Pro Upgrades, one on my current desktop and one on my current notebook. I will be replacing the desktop with a new one and I want to transfer said copy of Windows 8 Pro to my new computer. The 2 conflicting things I've heard are as follows:

#1 It works like it has with Retail Upgrades since Windows Vista and 7, you remove it from the old computer. Install Windows 7 and upgrade to 8, you may need to call for an activation code, just explain that its been wiped from the old machine or that this is a replacement motherboard/CPU and your old PC went FUBAR. All is well with the world.

#2 Its a pain and require you submit for a whole new Key that Microsoft, after some talking will just give you. The old key for the old machine is voided and you will need to enter the new key for the new machine and it hardware locks. I'm not to wild on this one.

The thing is, I've read both from Microsoft responses on the Microsoft support forums. I want to know if anyone here has done it and what their experiences was. I originally wanted to get a Technet Standard sub again, since I'm recently employed again, but just found out about the July 16, 2012 changes that thankfully don't effect my old keys. I do not want to pay Microsoft every year to keep my 2 keys per product alive and I think its a kick in the teeth for legit people testing Microsoft products. Any advice would be appreciated.

Just install it with the clean install trick, if it doesnt activate call the MS support number and do an automated activation via phone.

Back