Windows 8 Poll

Why have you upgraded to windows 8 (or plan to).

• Because its new, nothing else.

Votes: 28 17.2%
  • It has features I require or think I will require soon.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I prefer the new UI.

Votes: 19 11.7%
  • Because it will be the focus of new development, new apps etc.

Votes: 22 13.5%
  • For the cloud and syncing between devices features.

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • I had to because someone else made the decision.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Came with new OEM device.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I am a developer so use it so can develop apps for it.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Other reason, state in reply.

Votes: 14 8.6%
  • I havent upgraded from my old Windows OS and dont plan to in the near future.

Votes: 59 36.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Adapt to what exactly?

As hybrid OS. Windows 8 is as true of a hybrid product as there is, and it's not particularly elegant so it does require some adjustment. For a person who's always wanted Windows to be a hybrid kitchen sink OS I guess it was just more natural and more interesting to me than a lot of folks.

I dont think its asking alot for it to just be the same as the previous versions, but with all the nice improvements.(people who want the hybrid can have it too)

Maybe not, or maybe it is. There's a LOT more computing options now than even Windows 7 launched 3 years ago. People say that Windows 8 doesn't offer them anything over Windows 7. What does Windows 7 offer average people over an Android tablet or iPad? Sure in this crowd lots of stuff that's very atypical and of little interest to average people. Windows 7 devices are heavier, tied to keyboards and mice, hotter and less power efficient by a lot over tablets, and those are some of the things are driving computing devices, no top end speed or how many windows one can have open.

I like the improvements to the speed and other things too. But I personally hate touch screens period, unless they have a magic screen that doesnt get dirty. hehe

And this is a very common sentiment among Windows 8 opponents. But it's stopping few from buying touch screen devices.

I upgraded because the desktop experience is Windows 7, refined; while the Start Screen gives me access to an entire new world of apps.

The UI gave you access to a new world of apps...do you think those apps wouldn't exist without Metro? :confused:

I'm now running it in dual boot and trying to use it as stock as possible to give it a fair shake. So far it takes longer to do almost everything I want to do, but I'm willing work with it for a bit to see how it goes.

The UI gave you access to a new world of apps...do you think those apps wouldn't exist without Metro? :confused:

There's certainly a lot of them that haven't come to Windows desktops and that's because they tend to be touch and tablet oriented, something that Windows hasn't been until now. People may think they are crap, and a lot are, but there are LOT of talented folks that are working on mobile apps that don't seem to have much interest in desktop development.

As hybrid OS. Windows 8 is as true of a hybrid product as there is, and it's not particularly elegant so it does require some adjustment. For a person who's always wanted Windows to be a hybrid kitchen sink OS I guess it was just more natural and more interesting to me than a lot of folks.

Maybe not, or maybe it is. There's a LOT more computing options now than even Windows 7 launched 3 years ago. People say that Windows 8 doesn't offer them anything over Windows 7. What does Windows 7 offer average people over an Android tablet or iPad? Sure in this crowd lots of stuff that's very atypical and of little interest to average people. Windows 7 devices are heavier, tied to keyboards and mice, hotter and less power efficient by a lot over tablets, and those are some of the things are driving computing devices, no top end speed or how many windows one can have open.

And this is a very common sentiment among Windows 8 opponents. But it's stopping few from buying touch screen devices.

I dont mind win 8 if it was on a tablet or phone, though having a touch pad/button to move a cursor would be good. Metro style on those devices would probably benefit greatly since the devices are used for alot of the same things over and over. In fact, I put stuff like that on my android main screen for faster launching of my most used items.

I dont mind win 8 if it was on a tablet or phone, though having a touch pad/button to move a cursor would be good. Metro style on those devices would probably benefit greatly since the devices are used for alot of the same things over and over. In fact, I put stuff like that on my android main screen for faster launching of my most used items.

One of the main criticisms of Windows 8 is of course that sure it's okay on touch devices but that usage patterns are different on a desktop/laptop than tablet/phone and that's why one needs different UIs. I don't believe this from the stand point that I don't think that two UIs are necessary if one is designed well enough for both. And I'm not saying at all that Windows 8 is designed well enough to really shine at being a hybrid. But everything is there, it is different I just don't know how one would really objectively measure what is efficient and what isn't. Certainly a Windows 8 user that knows the UI would be more efficient than a person who doesn't know the Windows 7 UI even on the desktop.

I there just seems to be a lot of talk about how many mouse clicks it takes or mouse travel distance and I think you really have to look at those things in EXTREMELY objective terms to know the true impact.

One of the main criticisms of Windows 8 is of course that sure it's okay on touch devices but that usage patterns are different on a desktop/laptop than tablet/phone and that's why one needs different UIs. I don't believe this from the stand point that I don't think that two UIs are necessary if one is designed well enough for both. And I'm not saying at all that Windows 8 is designed well enough to really shine at being a hybrid. But everything is there, it is different I just don't know how one would really objectively measure what is efficient and what isn't. Certainly a Windows 8 user that knows the UI would be more efficient than a person who doesn't know the Windows 7 UI even on the desktop.

I there just seems to be a lot of talk about how many mouse clicks it takes or mouse travel distance and I think you really have to look at those things in EXTREMELY objective terms to know the true impact.

Mouse travel I cant help, but clicks is easy, its 1 click.

I don't know, maybe I'll learn it, but the intuitiveness is just not there if you ask me, everything seems like a big hunt to find out how to do it. For instance, I HATE having apps pinned to the task bar and I don't want application shortcuts on the desktop. It would seem though, that so far, there's no way to launch the application in desktop mode unless it's in one of those spots. Why is there no right click from the start menu to launch it as a non-full screen app? It seems like they've gotten rid of a ton of potential right click ease of use enhancements from the start screen since that's not an option on their tablets.

Can you launch an application in "desktop mode" without having a shortcut to it in the desktop environment?

Can you launch an application in "desktop mode" without having a shortcut to it in the desktop environment?

You can add the Start Menu folder to the Favorties of the File Explorer, which has always been there but few people did it because of the Start Menu.

Honestly I really like the under the hood tweaks to Windows 8. Now that I have figured out how to customize Metro is bearable. It can deal with it taking 79 click to get to options that where done in 3 on 7. The one thing that bugs me is that Metro HAS TO TAKE THE WHOLE DAMN SCREEN. Make it function like jump lists in OSX and I'll happily move. I just hate losing my point of focus just to launch a new program. I think the Start8 beta did this only on the right side of the screen and then I was fine with it. Used it for a while on my X200t the went back to my Fedora install.

List.png

Used it for a while on my X200t the went back to my Fedora install.

I have an x220t and really, this is the kind of hardware that Windows 8 works on best, especially if you use it as a true convertible, both as a laptop and touch and pen tablet. Linux simply doesn't support this kind of hardware as well, not with out a lot of work, and then you still don't get things like fantastic system wide handwriting recognition or native support for a lot of popular digital art programs.

If you don't do these things then sure, Fedora works for you, but lack of big apps and drivers in some cases is still a big issue for Linux.

I have an x220t and really, this is the kind of hardware that Windows 8 works on best, especially if you use it as a true convertible, both as a laptop and touch and pen tablet. Linux simply doesn't support this kind of hardware as well, not with out a lot of work, and then you still don't get things like fantastic system wide handwriting recognition or native support for a lot of popular digital art programs.

If you don't do these things then sure, Fedora works for you, but lack of big apps and drivers in some cases is still a big issue for Linux.

I use it to draw diagrams in which the wacom drivers in Fedora work well enough straight out of the box too. No drivers to install.

Makes the pen a mouse basically. I have a Win7 Vm for the 3 time a year I feel the need to use one note.

I've never found a reason for hand writing support. If I'm hand writing something it means I can't type it easily. Otherwise I prefer my scribbles to stay as scribbles. If I need straight text I'll use the keyboard.

You can add the Start Menu folder to the Favorties of the File Explorer, which has always been there but few people did it because of the Start Menu.

Yeah, I suppose that's a bit of a work around, but I honestly can't think of a legitimate reason to not make it an option straight off of the start menu. So far it's one thing that will be a death nail in Win 8's coffin for me. Launching an app the way I want to shouldn't be that difficult.

Plus I launch a lot of apps by hitting the start button and typing its name, and that no longer works in Win8 unless I'm happy with the app running in full screen mode.

Last edited:
Currently I'm planning a new build, the first since 2004 so Win 8 is much cheaper than win 7 retail (although I rather a retail version over OEM, so I'm still on the fence as to what to do).

Yeah, I suppose that's a bit of a work around, but I honestly can't think of a legitimate reason to not make it an option straight off of the start menu. So far it's one thing that will be a death nail in Win 8's coffin for me. Launching an app the way I want to shouldn't be that difficult.
The Start Menu is gone. The Start Menu Folder is not. Right click on the task bar and make a toolbar that points at your Start Menu Folder and you'll have access to everything in it, organized by folder, and just one mouse click away on your task bar.

Plus I launch a lot of apps by hitting the start button and typing its name, and that no longer works in Win8 unless I'm happy with the app running in full screen mode.
:confused: Never saw that behavior on my machine.

I can launch any desktop application and it'll return me to the desktop. Windows that were not full-screen upon last close (like Internet Explorer) open to the same size they were, in the same location.

Are you sure you're not opening a Metro app instead?

Also, the latest round of updates gives you the ability to pin folders and applications to the Start Screen. That includes the Recycle Bin. In fact, I just pinned it to the start screen and removed it from my desktop, so now I have no icons on my desktop.

I voted that I wouldnt upgrade too 8.

Now the first time installed 8, (yep, installed it twice), I got rid of it because of the stupid ass tile bullshit.

The second time I used classic shell. But I got rid of it because I didnt like the new file management BS. I like how Win 7 handles that. Plus I thought win 8 was slower than 7.

for me win8 was slower also. On both VM running of a hdd and laptop with SSD.

I upgraded to see what all the complaining was about. And as I thought, most the complains are from

1) People who hate change (mostly the same people with Vista).
2) People who don't know how the new UI works and thinks that it is terrible because of it.

#1 applies to me and I will explain why, its about productivity, I do work on my PC, I expect a consistent UI across upgraded versions of the OS because of this.

So I can see the novelty factor been good for people who play but not great for people who work.

I am also put off that the desktop styling seems to have regressed to a retro look, aero transparency glowing etc. removed. I tried to use my windows 7 theme which was not a good result.

#2 you suggesting that if people dont like the UI then it means they dumb, this is offensive. I know how it works. I just think its less efficient, I dont know 100% of it because it seems is undocumented but what I do know things like eg. having to move the mouse all the way into the corner is counter intuitive.

how is it a waste when eventually it will be the platform everybody uses.

windows 8 will eventually be used by everybody after SP1. the only reason XP lasted so long was because vista was absolute shit.

its hardly a waste considering the price

vista was poor on launch, but vista SP2 is a very good OS. Worth correcting.

When vista was launched it failed down ato a few reasons.

1 - poor marketing, microsofting assuming by default it would just be taken up as they had the monopoly.
2 - XP was as you said at the time good enough for most people's needs, and most of vista changes are under the hood, gui changes were minimal, yes was new flashy aero but that wasnt enough to attract a lot of people.
3 - poor driver support and app compatability due to under hood changes.

By comparison windows 7.

1 - they learned from the marketing and lots of hype was created prior to launch as well as good launch day offers.
2 - XP whilst still a good OS was starting to show its age with advances in hardware been made.
3 - driver support etc was now fixed since vista was now matured and fixed with SP2, vista SP2 what win7 was based off.
4 - Changes made to the GUI so consumers could see visible changes, such as windows snapping and the taskbar changes.

Windows 8

1 - same better marketing, creating hype etc.
2 - XP defenitly now aged, windows 7 however in my view is defenitly not aged. The main problem with windows 7 is its not very good for touch apps but for desktops it is a very good modern OS.
3 - since still using vista code base, driver support is there, app compatability should be there also although I understand there is some issues more than in windows 7 but not on the scale vista had from XP.
4- Huge changes to the GUI giving a great novelty factor. A gamble by microsoft as many dev's will say #1 rule is dont upset your customers by redesigning your product, but microsoft I feel seen how the iphone sold as a novelty and went the same way with windows 8 especially as they want in the mobile market.

The site I posted in the classicshell thread highlights a ton of removed features and deffeeiences in windows 8 but the figures seem to be showing not enough people care and they prefer the new novelty factor. Ultimately microsoft will follow the sales, if win8 sells well then they will keep to this path. However I feel this may start a seperate business OS again like back in the NT days, as this kind of gui isnt good for corporate use.

Minus the Modern UI apps & Windows 8 Store, I like the Start Screen in addition to the desktop. I could honestly do w/o the flat appearance of the Modern UI apps altogether. Customization of the Start Screen with a custom app, OblyTile, has made it my own.

I will be switching back to Linux on my desktop at home. I'd switch to Mac OS but I'm poor.

I've been running Windows 8 Virtual Image for a couple of months now for a few reasons:

1 - Our corporate IT jumps at anything new, they did with Vista and will do it with Windows 8. I predict it will be rolled out by the end of they year so I want a jump-start to learn in.

2 - Hyper-v is a driving factor. I work in the world of industrial automation were everything is slow to catch up. Windows 7 is just barely being accepted as an os for industrial automation software. I am a huge proponent of VMWare, and IT is pushing us to use Hyper-V instead. I've been educating myself so fight that battle because for my needs, I just don't see Hyper-V being as good as VMWare at least not today. I need to stay efficient at my job!

3 - I have a technet account, so getting a jump on Windows 8, Office 2013, Project 2013, Visio 2013 only keeps my skillset up-to-date. Plus I wanted to test some automation software directly on Windows 8 to see if there were any hiccups. So far none at all! I like it!

My experince:

1 - At first the start screen bugged the hell out of me, now that I have it organized and know the keyboard shortcuts, I think I'll adapt well to it. However I wish I could just do a program search directly in the desktop mode simply by typing.

2 - I don't see a use for any metro app. Maybe photos, but meh...full screen on a 17" laptop just is not required for my use.

3 - I have the desktop app located in the upper left, so when the computer is started up simply hitting "enter" will get me to the desktop.

4 - In a VM environment it runs pretty well, look forward to running it directly on a host laptop soon (As long as I get my VMWare Workstation!!!)

its a 3rd party program, but unlike most of the others it uses the native code from win 7 that was left in explorer.exe

startisback is the name of it

Yup I use that as well. Fantastic software!

Yup I use that as well. Fantastic software!

trying this now in my VM wow win8 just got a major upgrade. Not a free app tho. The question is why did microsoft even remove this just for someone else to profit adding it back.
But this is how microsoft should have done windows 8, defaulting to desktop, full start menu, and metro launcher just a addition to launch metro specific apps.

Now what I need is an app to allow aero themes to work.

Also the issue is if running classic shell does it conflict with startisback as I would still use classicshell to do things like make IE have a proper gui and windows explorer to have a proper gui.

I still wont be upgrading to win8 but this at least makes it a better prospect in case the day comes windows 8 has something I need to make me upgrade.

Last edited:
Windows 7 works great for me and I liek the style and feel of Win 7, Tried Win 8 and just did not care for it, I run a streamlined box and really didnt like all the tom foolery with gadgetery and appgalore. I will prob skip Win 8 just like I did with Vista after testing it and wait for Win 9 unless they come out with Win 8 Pron edition.

I am not an early adopter and afraid of change. I still have my epox 4bda2+ box running with 98/se because I can.

been playing with it some more.

IE10 has some significant improvements.

1 - Is enhanced protected mode which is a beefed up sandbox, when IE10 is released for win7, it wont have this feature as its win8 dependent.
2 - I noticed a large performance improvement on scrolling, IE9 compared to other browsers is weak in this area, its notable that my VM is smoother at scrolling in IE10 than IE9 on this host machine, and a horrible scroll bug seems fixed. Although I want to confirm if this is a driver bug or not so will be testing win7 again in a VM to confirm this.

Win8 is hugely improved with start is back still, now boots to desktop, fully functioning start menu but an issue still remaining with a ugly win95 style theme and there is other notable loss of features as well that are under the hood a bit. Also I found that windows defender doesnt seem to update its defenitions unless auto windows updates is on, MSE on win7 will update its definitions by itself without windows update.

Out of curioisity I checked pricing as some people in this thread said they got good deals. Here in the UK the pricing seems worse than win7 was at launch. If someone has a OEM machine brought after summer 2012 then they can get it for £15 upgrade version, otherwise its £50 for the upgrade, that to me is poor considering I got windows 7 "FULL" on launch for £50. That full windows 7 I still have boxed as I am using technet keys for my machines, so I would upgrade from that boxed version instead of a technet key (not ideal swapping a 10 activation key for 1 activation key). Cant get win8 of technet as I cancelled that and technet is no longer a financially good option as the new TOS forbids using keys after cancellation (previously was allowed).

Also to add with no matter what I try win8 is still sluggish on my VM compared to win7, slow shutdown, slow boot, and lots of lag in doing various tasks.

If I don't learn it, who will?

Bought it for $15 for my work laptop; running Enterprise from my TechNet for my personal PC.

Same goes for Server 2012, and Office 2013. It's there, and it's my job to learn it so I can support it.

Bought the upgrade because it was so cheap at $15. Will wait 2 years or until I actually need it until I upgrade from 7.

how you all getting for $15 you all brought new OEM machines?

3 versions,
15 is a digital offer for those buying a windows 7 from June this year on a machine, however you could tell that you did buy one without any proof you had bought one a loophole some used.
there is then a digital version twice that price around 30 which anyone can get until januray 2013.
and then the third is a bought physical copy for around 50.

Limitation of the digital one is if you have 32bit OS and order one you get 32bit windows 8 also. you need to make sure the machine you download it from ahs the proper 32/64 bit you want.

Windows 7 works fine, 8 add's nothing really new unless you like tablets.
As a programmer and systems analyst, we could never run our business
on touch screen foolishness.

Windows 7 works fine, 8 add's nothing really new unless you like tablets.
As a programmer and systems analyst, we could never run our business
on touch screen foolishness.

Well most would never want to touch expensive LCD's on their desktops, even if they actually had a touchscreen. I want a pointer and button for my nook and phone to keep em clean. :D
8 add's performance but would be better without tablet/phone crap, though it does work good for kids.

8 add's performance but would be better without tablet/phone crap, though it does work good for kids.

And since 8 runs the same desktop software as 7 and that software behaves identically with a keyboard and mouse 8 can also work good for adults.

Back