Windows 8 over 7 on older laptop?

I have an older laptop currently running windows 7:

Mobile Core 2 Duo P9500 @ 2.53 - Penryn 45nm
4GB DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20)
CLEVO CO. M570TU (U22)
1024MB GeForce 9800M GTX
300GB SATA

Would I benefit at all from a fresh install of 8.1? I have noticed some performance / stability increases on my desktop, but I'm wondering if I would see any benefits on an older machine or if it's better to stick with an OS from the same generation?

If the laptop only had 1GB of ram I would say go with 8, but with 4GB I doubt there will be a big performance difference other than start up and shut down speeds. If you already have your heart set on 8 and are just looking for confirmation, then get it. Otherwise I wouldn't spend the money, but a clean install of 7 would still help quite a bit.

Coming from Vista it made a huge night and day difference. Trial it by downloading the ISO and using the generic Microsoft placeholder key. If convinced you can buy a key and activate it. Just make sure you do a clean install and not an upgrade.

Stability increases, lol seriously? last time an OS was unstable was like 15 years ago and was called windowsME.
Did people on Windows ME never run Windows Update?

It shipped with a beta version of Internet Explorer. The shell was based on Internet Explorer. There's the majority of ME's instability, right there.

Run Windows Update, get up to the final version of IE 6.0, and suddenly... it's about the same as Windows 98 SE.

Windows 8 coupled with a large SSD can help extend the life of a laptop significantly. My 7 year old Core Duo laptop runs faster than the wife's new i3 laptop did when we purchased it.

Back