Windows 8 OEM/Retail

Ur_Mom

Fully [H]
I haven't had to do any clean installs with OEM hardware for a long time, much less with Windows 8. Does the Windows 8 DVD (Retail/MSDN) work with an OEM key (Lenovo)? I am getting in a new laptop tomorrow and want a clean install of 8 without all the crapware on there. The restore disks include the crap, and my only option is an MSDN disk I have, but I want to use the key from the laptop, which is valid.

DON'T WIPE THE DRIVE!

(emphasis to avoid having to repurchase recovery media from the OEM - afaik that's the only solution)

I just went through this. Retail boxed 8, new Gateway laptop. Nothing worked. Haven't tried any of the more illicit methods of obtaining 8, but not sure if it would help simply from some of the info I came across. MS has done something incredibly sneaky (and a pain in the ass for distrustful enthusiasts) this go-round w/ OEM embedded activation compared to 7. Not to mention they don't even make available a standard non 8 Pro image that I could find (each one appears to be generated based on the key supplied).

Maybe if the Lenovo has 8 Pro you've got more options, but 8 Core you're pretty much screwed. Make the recovery discs asap. Mine (Gateway) won't even allow you to make recovery DVDs, just USB keys.

Last edited:
I would personally recommend doing two things:

1) If you have an external HDD/network drive, etc available (which you should, for backup purposes), then create an image backup of the entire HDD for the laptop

then

2) Leave the OEM Recovery Partition intact on the laptop HDD.

After that, go ahead and try installing the retail copy using your CoA product key.

FYI, Windows 8 ISO's are available via Microsoft Technet if you have a subscription or know someone who does. It has:

- Windows 8 (multiple editions) (x64) - DVD (English) - Also available in x86, though no idea why anyone would bother unless hardware was incompatible with x64.

- Also has Enterprise, and Pro VL versions as well, plus the N versions for the EU rulings.

The multiple editions ISO should basically contain all versions, including "Core" and "Pro" on it.

I've personally not used an OEM Laptop CoA Product Key for Windows 8, but as long as you back up the HDD to an image file, there's no harm in trying it out.

Lenovo usually comes with some recovery disks (at least the ones at work have been), but I'll make a quick image just to be sure.

I do have the Technet (MSDN, same thing) ISO. Looks like I just have to give it a try and see if it works. If not, reimage and remove Lenovo stuff piece by piece.

Thanks!

I would personally recommend doing two things:

1) If you have an external HDD/network drive, etc available (which you should, for backup purposes), then create an image backup of the entire HDD for the laptop

then

2) Leave the OEM Recovery Partition intact on the laptop HDD.

After that, go ahead and try installing the retail copy using your CoA product key.

FYI, Windows 8 ISO's are available via Microsoft Technet if you have a subscription or know someone who does. It has:

- Windows 8 (multiple editions) (x64) - DVD (English) - Also available in x86, though no idea why anyone would bother unless hardware was incompatible with x64.

- Also has Enterprise, and Pro VL versions as well, plus the N versions for the EU rulings.

The multiple editions ISO should basically contain all versions, including "Core" and "Pro" on it.

I've personally not used an OEM Laptop CoA Product Key for Windows 8, but as long as you back up the HDD to an image file, there's no harm in trying it out.

I just went through this. Retail boxed 8, new Gateway laptop. Nothing worked.
Did you disable secure boot?

Also OP, in another thread about using HP/Dell/etc. keys to activate OSes by simply "typing in the key" I'm having issues. I've tried it a few times and it does not work for me. I've still not received a reply to my latest post.

For now, using the built in reset feature, restore partition or official media is probably the best bet. I think a good reason to buy business oriented PC's is that you get the official restore media and application disc and are not expected to make your own.

Last edited:
Did you disable secure boot?

Also OP, in another thread about using HP/Dell/etc. keys to activate OSes by simply "typing in the key" I'm having issues. I've tried it a few times and it does not work for me. I've still not received a reply to my latest post.

For now, using the built in reset feature, restore partition or official media is probably the best bet. I think a good reason to buy business oriented PC's is that you get the official restore media and application disc and are not expected to make your own.

You can install with COA key but to activate it has to be done via phone (ms knows branded computers sometimes need replacement parts not exactly the same as originals), and afaik Vista and 7 install disks take whatever key you throw in, retail or oem.

You can install with COA key but to activate it has to be done via phone (ms knows branded computers sometimes need replacement parts not exactly the same as originals), and afaik Vista and 7 install disks take whatever key you throw in, retail or oem.
In the other thread the posters are insinuating that you can simply type in the key and press activate and it works without calling Microsoft. I've never got it to work that way so I'm trying to be open minded and trying other media etc to get it to work for my own eyes to see.

I haven't had to do any clean installs with OEM hardware for a long time, much less with Windows 8. Does the Windows 8 DVD (Retail/MSDN) work with an OEM key (Lenovo)? I am getting in a new laptop tomorrow and want a clean install of 8 without all the crapware on there. The restore disks include the crap, and my only option is an MSDN disk I have, but I want to use the key from the laptop, which is valid.
We do this with every Win8 laptop we deploy at my client. They actually come with a one-shot Windows 7 install, but since the SSD is kinda tiny we swap it out, losing Win7 completely. The *three* Win8 DVDs are stupidly bloated, so we use an MSDN Windows 8 Pro to clean install, and they activate painlessly. One thing I did, which I don't know was actually required, was create an ei.cfg file that specified that it's a VL edition.
---
[Channel]
volume

[VL]
---

*note - These are Win8 licensed laptops with a Win8 Pro sticker on them - they have the proper firmware burn with a Win8 key*

If I'm reading this correctly on MDL, you can use a program called RW-Everything to find the encrypted product key and version of your device. Type that key into this site to verify the type of installation you have (SKU) http://d-fault.nl/PidCheck.aspx Then as long as you use the media type that is appropriate for the SKU (there are 3 core versions and 1 pro version), and you delete ei.cfg (so it automatically selects version, will not work with ei.cfg) you can reinstall the OS and be activated.

People are reporting successfully reinstalling Windows 8 without even having to type in a product key by using the matching SKU media.

Last edited:
I had to find the Win8 key using a keyfinder. Printed that out, and going to image and reinstall in the morning.

I'll update with what I find. I definitely need to reinstall Win8, as within the first 2 hours of owning this thing, I've seen the BSOD twice. :/ Not a good sign.

I had to find the Win8 key using a keyfinder. Printed that out, and going to image and reinstall in the morning.

I'll update with what I find. I definitely need to reinstall Win8, as within the first 2 hours of owning this thing, I've seen the BSOD twice. :/ Not a good sign.
The keyfinder (MJB Finder, etc) will not work. You have to use the program that extracts the key from BIOS, like RW-Everything.

Back