Windows 8 OEM: How many times can we activate online?

fcwedd

Weaksauce
Heya,

I recently purchased Windows 8 OEM. I've activated it on my machine and it works great.

However, I'm getting ready to reformat my hard drive. Will I be able to activate Windows 8 OEM again online? I keep hearing different things and speculation. Doesn't anyone know the concrete system?

Thanks

In theory it should be fine as long as the hardware hasn't changed being that's how OEM licensing is supposed to be used. It should only complain if you were attempting to use it on alternate hardware then what it was first activated on.

I have Win8 Pro upgrade and I've activated it on the same HTPC 3 times now. First time didn't realize I downloaded & install 32bit, 2nd time had video card driver issue thanks to windows update. I never had any issue with activation all 3 times and HTPC working like a champ now.

Heya,

I recently purchased Windows 8 OEM. I've activated it on my machine and it works great.

However, I'm getting ready to reformat my hard drive. Will I be able to activate Windows 8 OEM again online? I keep hearing different things and speculation. Doesn't anyone know the concrete system?

Thanks

Save the online activations for when really needed, if you're reinstalling without making hardware changes, backup and restore your activation files with Advanced Tokens Manager

Back