windows 8 media center

chronic9

Supreme [H]ardness
is it worth upgrading to windows 8 for the media center? i read it lacks codec to play blu-rays, dont care much about that, more concerned with MKVs and such.

ive been relatively happy with XBMC, maybe windows 8 is worth it?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Absolutely not. Everything I have read said if your Win 7 is working do not go to Win 8.

If you want MKV and Blu Ray in MCE get Windows 7 and Sharks Codec pack.

Why? Windows 7 includes Media Center for free.

Windows 8 doesn't. It is a extra cost option, and it is only an option on the more expensive Pro version.

And then it is exactly the same Media Center you already get for free in Windows 7.

So you want to Pay for Windows 8 upgrade, and pay more because you need Pro and then pay again for Media Center, that you already have now for free in Windows 7.

Like he said above.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

yeah no reason at the moment to upgrade.

perhaps in the future the apps for w8 metro will be better than current MCE and replace the functionality but at this point there is no reason to upgrade unless it is on a touch screen computer

If you're on windows 7 then no. However if your on vista or xp then ya. However you probably should have did this a couple days ago as it was free with a windows 8 pro purchase.

But it is a great os for an htpc. The live tiles work great on a big screen.

Also don't forget that the ONLY WMC extender that will work with windows 8 is the xbox 360. All 3rd party (Linksys/HP/Ceton Echo) will not work properly with windows 8 WMC.

I bought Win8 + MCE solely because of the discount + free MCE offer. I figure it's better to get it now than pay full price in a year or two.

I've installed it on my living room box and have it boot directly to XBMC. I haven't installed a single piece of software other than XBMC + LogMeIn and haven't run into any trouble so far.

I bought Win8 + MCE solely because of the discount + free MCE offer. I figure it's better to get it now than pay full price in a year or two.

I've installed it on my living room box and have it boot directly to XBMC. I haven't installed a single piece of software other than XBMC + LogMeIn and haven't run into any trouble so far.

If all you wanted to run was XBMC you could have went with Linux and paid nothing.

Back