Windows 8 firewall question

mrjayviper

Weaksauce
I want a default "block incoming/outgoing" connection rule. BUT I wanted to be prompted too if a program is trying to access the "net" (could be accessing the internet or my local intranet) so I can make an exception.

I change the domain/private/public incoming/outgoing connection rules to block. But when I tried browsing the net using safari, I didn't get prompted.

Which setting can I set so I get prompted? thanks :)

View the "Allow a program through Windows Firewall" and you will see a list of applications that are allows to bypass the firewall.

Keep in mind though that many applications do not have Firewall rules because the transfer initiated from behind the firewall. In most cases firewalls are to block stuff from getting in, not from stuff going out.

View the "Allow a program through Windows Firewall" and you will see a list of applications that are allows to bypass the firewall.

Keep in mind though that many applications do not have Firewall rules because the transfer initiated from behind the firewall. In most cases firewalls are to block stuff from getting in, not from stuff going out.
I tried blocking everything and making an outbound rule for safari and it still won't go out... :(

Actually I'm pretty sure I've used the built in firewall of Windows to block programs from dialing out. You just have to go into the firewall settings and do it manually.

Block yes but I don't think the Windows (7 at least) supports outward bound notifications, which was the OP's question.

http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/index.html

I've been using the free version of this since Vista; currently using it with Windows 7 64 Bit. It's lightweight and will block outbound, like you desire. It says it is compatible with Windows 8, but I have not tried it. I think it's just what you are looking for.

Back