Windows 8 File History Errors

TechLarry

RIP [H] Brother - June 1, 2022
Anyone else had File History errors in Win8?

I keep getting a popup telling me to re-select my drive. I do, but it just keeps coming back.

In frustration I just turned the damned thing off because I was too busy to deal with it.

Nope. It turns itself back on and the errors start appearing again.

The file history folder is in the ServerFolders folder on my Server 2012 essentials server. Apparently the Connector installer (installed in non-domain mode) put it there when it was installed. I didn't even know until the problem appeared. The issue didn't appear for a long time, so it's not really related.

I've also tried to move the folder. All I get is an error stating to re-select the drive.

So I can't turn it off, I can't move it. I can't do squat with it and I continue to get the error about every 30 min or so.

I'm sure there is a service I can turn off, but I'm not quite ready to do that yet.

In the mean time I've made a duplicate copy of the folder with all the data in it.

I had lost 2 weeks of data from m Gun Maintenance Spreadsheet and didn't have a backup that went back to my last major change. I basically re-created it as best I could from memory.

But... while looking into fixing this problem, I noticed several shadows of the file in the file history and by golly, there was one with just the right date that had all my entries :)

It is a useful feature. I just want it to STFU .

There is a nice thread on technet where File History keeps creating identical copies of files for no reason...seems to be a few bugs in it for now.

I saw File History when I went to Win 8 but decided I would rather have my full image backup of the boot drive, so I fired up the Win 7 backup and am using it instead.

Windows 8 was never tested as well as 7. There are numerous bugs I ran across. I don't think we will be deploying 8 for years.

Back