Windows 8 drivers - manual install or automatic?

lathode

[H]ard|Gawd
My process has been the same from Win 98 to XP to Vista to 7. Install the OS and manually install drivers. The drivers I install are the Intel chipset, RST, Intel NIC, USB3, X-Fi, and CCC or Forceware. With Windows 8 I read something about USB3 drivers being included, so wondered at this point should I bother installing any driver manually or just use Windows update? I never go into the X-Fi software to change anything or CCC except for maybe overclocking. Would the driver that Windows installs for the video card incude CCC or just the driver itself?

It's my opinion to never use Windows Update for drivers. Windows video drivers are fairly old. You gain a lot by downloading the most recent drivers from the manufacturers site.

Put it this way:

For my onboard Intel NIC, I've tried both the updated Intel drivers and the one in Windows Update. I've had a higher increase of disconnections and network slowdowns using the one in Windows Update. The Intel drivers are more updated and have more fixes than what's provided by Microsoft.

If I was going to go to Windows 8, I will do a manual installation of the drivers. However, unless the device is so old that there are no compatible drivers from the manufacturer, then I'll use what is provided by Windows 8 itself or in the Windows Update.

It's my opinion to never use Windows Update for drivers. Windows video drivers are fairly old. You gain a lot by downloading the most recent drivers from the manufacturers site.

this. always manual.

Back