• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Windows 8 Bugs

Wrench00

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 30, 2003
Messages
3,423
Desktop mode seems fine but metro is buggy for me.
IE 10 is a mess. Using the back button causes the page to disappear. When doing a lot of searching the on screen keyboard stops working. Most java dependent website that I have to use don't work correctly.
There are other apps that also just randomly crash and stop working. These are approved apps from the store. Hardware doesn't turn on using metro controls ie bluetooth or wireless. Wireless device will randomly unload the drivers which require a reinstall.
Gestures don't work correctly ie close app one.
 
Haven't seen any of these, except the Java one, which is of course going to happen as IE10 Metro doesn't support plug-ins (with an exception for some white listed sites to use flash.) Does the event viewer say anything interesting? What hardware are you using for this, have you tried another machine to rule out a hardware problem?
 
Its a tablet. No physical keyboard.
Have I tried it on another machine yes. This is how I know it doesn't work in 8. It all seems to be with Metro shit the desktop works fine. Then again I don't usually use Internet Exploder on the desktop but yes same websites work fine in the Desktop mode.
Also I noticed favorites that I delete keep coming back and randomly Metro IE decides that Bing is my homepage again. Fucking Bing. Stupid fucking Bing Icon fsdau534$#@$#f icon keeps coming back.
 
while i dont use any of those metro "crapps" (i did tested them and it was like: "lol what the hell is this crap?") ie10 is the only thing that i found buggy, especially with shockwave/flash stuff. using chrome though, no bugs.
 
ops, with desktop ie10, i dont use any of those "crapps" on metro
 
better yet: "metro crapps" :D . sorry im all fucked up and still half-drunk from yesterday.. ugh.
 
Its a tablet. No physical keyboard.
Have I tried it on another machine yes. This is how I know it doesn't work in 8. It all seems to be with Metro shit the desktop works fine. Then again I don't usually use Internet Exploder on the desktop but yes same websites work fine in the Desktop mode.
Also I noticed favorites that I delete keep coming back and randomly Metro IE decides that Bing is my homepage again. Fucking Bing. Stupid fucking Bing Icon fsdau534$#@$#f icon keeps coming back.

What model tablet? And what other tablet model did you try it on? Also, what page gives you errors as I will check it over here. And again, did you look in the event viewer, if something is malfunctioning and leaving event viewer log items, it could affect a lot of things.
 
@Wrench00: sorry man, i didnt even read your post correctly, but with all kinds of different software and utilities for all kinds of purposes that i've being using from XP days to 7 on windows 8, the only thing that i found bugs on it was with IE10, it is buggy, at least for now, being using chrome intead, maybe that helps you.
 
Well to much to hope that IE wouldn't be a complete piece of shit. I guess I just need to use everything on the desktop mode on the tablet. Its the only piece of software I used on metro. Now that its pointless I guess I can reinstall 7. Unless Google or Mozilla can bring out a non piece of shit web browser out. Cause IE just sucks balls.
 
There are people who have problems with chrome and FF, I guess they suck too. Anyways, IE10 Metro and Desktop work fine for me, /shrug. You don't want to give us more information to help debug the issue, then I'm not sure what you want, sympathy perhaps?
 
There are people who have problems with chrome and FF, I guess they suck too. Anyways, IE10 Metro and Desktop work fine for me, /shrug. You don't want to give us more information to help debug the issue, then I'm not sure what you want, sympathy perhaps?

Desktop IE works fine its the metro that crashes. Event log says IE just crashed App hang.

Hardware is fine nothing wrong with hard ware. Metro IE is just a piece of shit.
 
Last edited:
Hardware is fine nothing wrong with hard ware. Metro IE is just a piece of shit.

You might be a little premature in your diagnosis. You're certainly are having issues that I've not encountered with Metro IE across three different tablets. I can't remember the last time I've seen IE 10 crash, either the desktop or Metro version on any of my 6 Windows 8 machines. And I've not had any issues with the onscreen keyboard in keyboard or ink mode. The ink mode seems considerably faster and more stable than in Windows 7 and the handwriting to text conversion is a little bit more accurate I think.

One thing I have noticed are some Metro apps that do crash or don't run probably, maybe about ten thus far out of the few hundred I've tried.

So any specific sites you can list that aren't working for you?
 
You might be a little premature in your diagnosis. You're certainly are having issues that I've not encountered with Metro IE across three different tablets. I can't remember the last time I've seen IE 10 crash, either the desktop or Metro version on any of my 6 Windows 8 machines. And I've not had any issues with the onscreen keyboard in keyboard or ink mode. The ink mode seems considerably faster and more stable than in Windows 7 and the handwriting to text conversion is a little bit more accurate I think.

One thing I have noticed are some Metro apps that do crash or don't run probably, maybe about ten thus far out of the few hundred I've tried.

So any specific sites you can list that aren't working for you?

HP Procurve switches. bulk of Government of Canada websites.bmw.ca causes IE to crash.
The keyboard crashes because of IE. I just went back to using desktop, I am not a beta tester for Microsoft don't care about metro no apps that I use will ever come out on it.
 
I tried bmw.ca and a bunch of random Canadian government web sites on a couple of Windows 8 machines, both desktop and Metro browsers. No issues.
 
I tried bmw.ca and a bunch of random Canadian government web sites on a couple of Windows 8 machines, both desktop and Metro browsers. No issues.

The gov website I go to are not visitor websites. They are services websites you have no access too. These are BCEIS, ROA.. Try BMW customize/build option. Sits there spinning eternally desktop it runs right away.
Reddit causes the metro browser to wig out by going to link then using back button a bunch of times. I just user SR Iron desktop version now.
 
Last edited:
I'm trying Win8 out on dual monitors with the desktop on one screen and Win8-style on the other. There's some "pattern" to desktop apps that will randomly close the Win8-style apps and dual screen the desktop. I haven't figured out the cause yet. An IRC client, Clicks & Whistles, is one such app.

I also wish the Start screen could be persistent. It can't exist alone on a screen, because the moment you click *anything* on the other screen it goes away. Can't exploit live tiles much that way.
 
I also wish the Start screen could be persistent. It can't exist alone on a screen, because the moment you click *anything* on the other screen it goes away. Can't exploit live tiles much that way.

This is something I agree with. Would love to have a small 3rd or 4th touch monitor that can stay on the start screen to constantly see the live tiles.
 
I also wish the Start screen could be persistent. It can't exist alone on a screen, because the moment you click *anything* on the other screen it goes away. Can't exploit live tiles much that way.

I haven't tried multi monitor yet, but this would be a killer idea. I'd go for it in a heart beat. Have one screen (smaller) dedicated to my start screen, and the others as work screens. Tiles would show me the basics, and I can just move over, click an icon and have it open on another screen. Killer app for Win8 right there. Hopefully, someone can make something that gives that functionality because I'm already sold.
 
The gov website I go to are not visitor websites. They are services websites you have no access too. These are BCEIS, ROA.. Try BMW customize/build option. Sits there spinning eternally desktop it runs right away.
Reddit causes the metro browser to wig out by going to link then using back button a bunch of times. I just user SR Iron desktop version now.

The bmw,ca customize site uses java so yeah, that's not going to work in Metro IE.
 
my sound card keeps defaulting back to Game Mode after every reboot...it works fine otherwise...don't know if it's a sound card driver issue or a Windows 8 one
 
Back
Top