Windows 8 Adoption Gaining Steam

So should take roughly 5 more years to over take windows 7 market share.

results are probably skewed from all the back to school laptops and other systems that people are buying that come pre-loaded with Windows 8...I highly doubt most people are clamoring to buy the OS in and of itself

This Computerworld article has the count of 8/8.1 at 8.5%: http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...es_Vista_s_uptake_rate_10_months_after_launch

It's very common for a new version of Windows to start out slow. especially on that's such a big change, 8 is doing about as well as XP at launch and XP was a pretty major change as well, with a ton of security problems it's first couple of years.

The real test for 8 is going to be the next gen of hardware. The pricing has got to come down and the devices need to be good. Bay Trail is the critical part, if Atom can finally deliver the performance and battery life that Windows tablets have never had in combination of affordable hardware, 8 should being to sell better.

All of my household machines have been updated or came with Windows 8. 1 Server, 1 Laptop, 1 Desktop and 1 Surface Pro. I also have an additional license ready, should I need it.

Windows 8 isn't as bad as it is portrayed to be.

Virtually all that market share is in the consumer space. Corporate adoption is easily rounded to 0%.

It could take more than 5 years since consumer sales have been falling significantly every year, and with three quarters of businesses having no plan to deploy Windows 8 at all, the adoption figure could get stalled out below even XP.

"it is still more market share than all versions of OS X combined."

You wouldn't think that asking any apple fanbois lol! They make it sound like 75%!

Virtually all that market share is in the consumer space. Corporate adoption is easily rounded to 0%.

It could take more than 5 years since consumer sales have been falling significantly every year, and with three quarters of businesses having no plan to deploy Windows 8 at all, the adoption figure could get stalled out below even XP.

The projections for PC sales aren't good but they still show somewhere between 300 and 320 million shipments over the next couple of years, with a slight decrease next year and a slight increase in 2015. Lots of unknowns. Windows 9 might be out next year and following the good release bad release cycle that Microsoft is famous for 9 should be better. Windows 7 will be getting long in the tooth then and hardware should continue to improve to help spur sales. And then there's the XP users, most of the corporate folks will probably go to 7 but if they are late in the game planning deployments they might consider 8.1.

Having it be installed on all new PCs that ship, helps. This kind of "adoption" has been seen with 7 and Vista before it. Pretty much pointless to talk about unless everyone loved it and purposefully upgraded to it.

Pretty much pointless to talk about unless everyone loved it and purposefully upgraded to it.

But this is almost never the case with Windows. Adoption of new versions of Windows has always been driven primarily by new hardware sales, and my guess is that this month was good for Windows 8 because of back to school sales. Plus younger people probably care a whole lot less about the changes to the UI and probably adapt to it easier than many older veteran Windows users.

Windows 8 adoption share is probably right on par with PC sales. Since Microsoft does not allow consumers to have a choice of OS other than 8, market share of 8 doesn't mean a whole lot to me.

The real question is what happened to the market share of Windows 7 over the same time frame. Did it gain over 8?

Having it be installed on all new PCs that ship, helps. This kind of "adoption" has been seen with 7 and Vista before it. Pretty much pointless to talk about unless everyone loved it and purposefully upgraded to it.

Pretty much pointless to make an ignorant statement like this. Remind me which version of windows was only sold as software to people who made a choice and purposely upgraded?

Windows 8 adoption share is probably right on par with PC sales. Since Microsoft does not allow consumers to have a choice of OS other than 8, market share of 8 doesn't mean a whole lot to me.

Agreed. Plus, school just started. Lots of new devices were probably bought so that could account for the surge.

BTW if my numbers are correct Linux has seen a 20ish % increase in this time frame. Does this mark the start of googles desktop push coming to fruitation?

^ I think this range of dates shows it a bit clearer: http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-201208-201309

Windows 7 doesn't seem to have dropped since Windows 8 was released. Windows XP's share dropped around 8 or 9 percent since Windows 8 was released. OS X and Linux held pretty steady in the same period. I think the trend shows a couple of things: as Windows XP systems are replaced, corporations are moving to Windows 7 and consumers are moving from XP or 7 to Windows 8 since that's the version which is readily available on most models.

Must be 'back to school'
I'm happily sitting on 7 without any issues, in no time 9 will come around the corner.

^ I think this range of dates shows it a bit clearer: http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-201208-201309

Windows 7 doesn't seem to have dropped since Windows 8 was released. Windows XP's share dropped around 8 or 9 percent since Windows 8 was released. OS X and Linux held pretty steady in the same period. I think the trend shows a couple of things: as Windows XP systems are replaced, corporations are moving to Windows 7 and consumers are moving from XP or 7 to Windows 8 since that's the version which is readily available on most models.

Yeah, the longer timeline shows that 7 usage has stagnated but not fallen since 8 was released... unsurprising given I'm sure most people get 8 by buying a new system to replace an older one or as an addition rather than dropping 7 and buying 8.

As far as corporate adoption, not sure how it figures in, but if you get a Volume License and want Win7, you must purchase 8 and request downgrade keys. If these sales count towards Win8, but people are using Win7, this is a bit skewed.

As far as corporate adoption, not sure how it figures in, but if you get a Volume License and want Win7, you must purchase 8 and request downgrade keys. If these sales count towards Win8, but people are using Win7, this is a bit skewed.

These numbers are based on Internet traffic, sales numbers have nothing to do with them.

Windows 9 will be here soon enough. Thankfully, they already fired everybody who thought Windows 8 was a good idea.:D

So should take roughly 5 more years to over take windows 7 market share.

It won't. If it doesn't do it within another year, the next release will start taking over and Win8 adoption will start falling again.

Windows 9 will be here soon enough. Thankfully, they already fired everybody who thought Windows 8 was a good idea.:D

I wouldn't expect 9 to be a radical departure from 8.x. There will probably be more options to configure the new UI to make it more friendly for classic desktop use but I don't see the return of the Start Menu or a Metro off switch especially as more of those apps come online.

Virtually all that market share is in the consumer space. Corporate adoption is easily rounded to 0%./QUOTE]

Yep. I work for GlobalOmniCorp (might as well be) and they have just rolled the desktop experience up to Win 7. Half the company is probably still on XP. On the server side all the new ones are 2008 x64 R2 which is less than 1/3 of them, the rest are still 2003.... what is current? Server 2012? Yeah maybe in 5 or 10 years.

Company I work for is nearly complete with a Windows 7 roll-out of approx. 20,000 machines.

annnnnnnd if I bought a new machine today, say a laptop with Windows 8 pre-installed that shit would be formatted and replaced with Windows 7.

I was forced to use a computer with 8 the other day and i'm gonna have to seriously disagree with that statement.

Because you are unable to let go of decades of "habits" and learn something new? How were you able to use iOS/Android (or WP!) when they first came out?

Because you are unable to let go of decades of "habits" and learn something new? How were you able to use iOS/Android (or WP!) when they first came out?
I don't think the laptop he got is touch screen or he doesn't want to touch it. Also "habits" pertains to win 8 as well. Instead of clicking/touching an icon, you can click/touch a big fat block. Not much different.

The only good thing about win 8 is the upgrades.(too bad metro had to come with it.)
Maybe with 9 they will give a choice.

As far as it gaining steam, like others have said, if you have to buy 8 before you downgrade to 7, then the numbers mean nothing.

W8 actually has a lot of upgraded features companies would love, and since most are only now transitioning to W7 it would have been a massive boon to MS. But alas touch centric Metro nonsense will render it skipped en it will end up little better than Vista.

W8 actually has a lot of upgraded features companies would love, and since most are only now transitioning to W7 it would have been a massive boon to MS.

Not really sure why so many people think that businesses in the middle of moving to 7 were going to change their plans and go to 8, that just wasn't going to be the case, it never has been with new versions of Windows. 7 was something of an anomaly because the long gap between XP and Vista and Vista's poor reception.

Not really sure why so many people think that businesses in the middle of moving to 7 were going to change their plans and go to 8, that just wasn't going to be the case, it never has been with new versions of Windows. 7 was something of an anomaly because the long gap between XP and Vista and Vista's poor reception.
I think its not in the middle they were thinking, but planning to move.
A few machine running 8 is no big deal, but some others posted 100's or 1000's of machines. That wouldn't work which is why if they had an option in win 8(regular desktop), business's would probably jump on that over 7.

Windows 8 is only "gathering steam" in the sense that those who buy new computers with it pre-installed, who don't have the means to remove it even if they wanted to, are using it because they have no choice.

QFT

And the fact that Microsoft pulled all their Windows 7 Computers out of retail stores and forced people to use Windows 8.

Back