Windows 8.1 vs 8.1 Pro, Dell Venue 11 Pro

nbat58

Limp Gawd
I bought the Dell venue 11 pro Atom version and I have received it today, I have realised that Dell sent me the wrong Windows 8.1 version that I have ordered, my order was for Windows 8.1 pro and I have received 8.1.

The tablet has got 2gb of ram and 64gb ssd with 3G, should I ask for a replacement or just keep the one I have.

The operating system should work ok with the 2GB of ram but they are other extras you get with windows 8.1 pro, like bit locker and other security features, will it matter with a tablet?

Should I keep it and ask for a discount or change it?

Won't really make any different with a tablet, no. The Pro versions of Windows now have very limited appeal.

Dell offers device encryption for the 8 Pro and I think its there for the 11 Pro as well. You can verify by gong to PC Settings->Device Info and see if Encryption is turned on. I would certainly get Dell to provide you a Pro key or get a refund for the difference in price. Their support these days seems to be pretty good, they should be able to help you out.

I'd look at it more like this:

I've been shopping around for a new laptop. I found that, on average, it's about a $50 difference between Windows and Windows Pro.

If the features of pro aren't worth $50 to you, I'd ask for your $50 back (or whatever the cost difference is). If it is worth it, then have them fix the problem.

On a side note, if bitlocker is the only thing you're interested in, make sure that tablet has a TPM. Bitlocker requires one to work properly. If it doesn't have a TPM, and that's the only reason you'd go with pro, then get your money back.

Thanks for quick response guys greatly appreciated, I will ponder over what to do then contact Dell.

Other than the screw up, how do you like it? I was looking at the 8" model, but would like the 11" (10.9) better.

Great tablet, awesome screen, I was going to get the i3 or i5 models but the fans and weight put me off, I would have rather had 128gb ssd and 4gb of ram at the least but for me the fans and weight meant a no no.

So I have bought tonight a Samsung micro SD uhs-1 class 10 64gb card to compensate.

My son has the Asus Transformer T100 and the screen on the Dell is a lot better, I would recommend it if you intend viewing 1080p movies streamed from a NAS or online.

There is a way to mod the Dell Venue 8 Pro to add a second usb port and some people have been doing then and putting a 128 gig usb flash drive inside them in the extra space next to the battery.

I like mine because I got the Dell Venue 8 Pro 64 gig from Microcenter for $250 new a few weeks ago.

If that tablet needs to connect to a Windows domain...

Yes there is that, the Bitlocker but as stated by Deamon10000 TPM is required and I think the dell venue 11 support TPM, the last thing would RDP but RDP can be used if an app is downloaded from windows store.

Yes there is that, the Bitlocker but as stated by Deamon10000 TPM is required and I think the dell venue 11 support TPM, the last thing would RDP but RDP can be used if an app is downloaded from windows store.

I thought most new laptops/tablets supported TPM. I thought it was pretty common these days. Maybe I just haven't bought a consumer level laptop in a while.... I'm not too worried about it. I don't encrypt my drives, anyway.

I thought most new laptops/tablets supported TPM. I thought it was pretty common these days. Maybe I just haven't bought a consumer level laptop in a while.... I'm not too worried about it. I don't encrypt my drives, anyway.

Most do, but not all.

There is a way to mod the Dell Venue 8 Pro to add a second usb port and some people have been doing then and putting a 128 gig usb flash drive inside them in the extra space next to the battery.

I like mine because I got the Dell Venue 8 Pro 64 gig from Microcenter for $250 new a few weeks ago.

Interesting. Link for this?

I bought the Dell venue 11 pro Atom version and I have received it today, I have realised that Dell sent me the wrong Windows 8.1 version that I have ordered, my order was for Windows 8.1 pro and I have received 8.1.

The tablet has got 2gb of ram and 64gb ssd with 3G, should I ask for a replacement or just keep the one I have.

The operating system should work ok with the 2GB of ram but they are other extras you get with windows 8.1 pro, like bit locker and other security features, will it matter with a tablet?

Should I keep it and ask for a discount or change it?

HUGE QUESTION for you.

I tried my best to the i5 Venue Pro 11 at Frys.
When I removed the back cover, I could see an area where the wifi Card was attached, and it looked like there was another empty space.
Is there an area where you could insert the Dell Qualcomm GOBI 5000 4G LTE (Verizon) for usage?
If I could buy one of the Baytrail Venue Pro 11's and save myself the $130.00 charge, by later installing a Gobi modem, I would be extremely happy!!!

Also, is there an external slot for, say SIM card, or micro sim?

Dell offers device encryption for the 8 Pro and I think its there for the 11 Pro as well. You can verify by gong to PC Settings->Device Info and see if Encryption is turned on. I would certainly get Dell to provide you a Pro key or get a refund for the difference in price. Their support these days seems to be pretty good, they should be able to help you out.

I'm not sure what the tech differences are, but on my asus T100, it had the device encryption, but essentially gave you no options other than turning it off and on. I wiped it and put 8.1 pro on there, and used the full bitlocker package.

I'd definitely want pro if that's what was paid for.

the last thing would RDP but RDP can be used if an app is downloaded from windows store.

What app allows RDP on a non-Pro version? I looked quickly and they all just appear to be RDP apps, not client apps. And the Windows matrix still shows only Pro & Ent having client capabilities. Maybe I'm missing something here.

This is our game stopper- we have to be able to RDP into the client PCs, even if they are road warriors and don't necessarily need to be domain joined.

Does it have remote desktop in all applications? Last I knew the home versions of Windows still came with the remote desktop client but they don't have the server portion. IE the DVP can rdp into another pc using the client but another pc can't rdp into the DVP because it lacks the rdp server.

If you hit "windows key + R" and type mstsc.exe and hit enter that should tell you if you have the desktop version or not.

Here is the modern ui version:

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/051f560e-5e9b-4dad-8b2e-fa5e0b05a480

Last edited:
The main diff between 8.1 and 8.1 Pro is the ability to add to a domain and other stuff that goes along with it. Stick with 8.1 regular IMHO unless you really need the AD component.

Does it have remote desktop in all applications? Last I knew the home versions of Windows still came with the remote desktop client but they don't have the server portion. IE the DVP can rdp into another pc using the client but another pc can't rdp into the DVP because it lacks the rdp server.

If you hit "windows key + R" and type mstsc.exe and hit enter that should tell you if you have the desktop version or not.

Here is the modern ui version:

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/051f560e-5e9b-4dad-8b2e-fa5e0b05a480

You need to the Pro or Enterprise version of Windows to be able to use a device as a remote desktop host. The client is available to all versions 8 however.

Back