Windows 8.1 Sporadic reboots

|Night|

n00b
Hey, I have an issue that has left me scratching my head,

My installation of Windows 8.1 reboots out of no where from time to time, for no apparent reason, event logs says nothing but unexpected power failure,

Mobo: EVGA X58 3xSLI CLASSIFIED, Socket-1366
CPU: I7 930 (non oced atm)
Mem Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600MHz 12GB CL8 XMS3
PSU: Corsair AX1200
HDD: Just under 40TB ish, in a series of drives, 4TB,3TB,2TB Seagtes, System drive is a 1.5TB Seagate.
GFX: ATI 4870 1GB

I have ruled out memory issues, run a full mem86 test.

Any idea what to look for next? I do not even get a BSOD, system just goes reboots automatically, I have disabled automatic reboot on system failure in windows.

Last edited:
Running memtest doesn't really rule out the issues with RAMs. Try to take off RAM sticks, put only one on a slot and then put that same stick on another slot; repeat with other sticks to see if it is RAM issue. The next thing is the mainboard, then the PSU.

Hmm, I am noticing a "high" nb temp around 60c. I will try one and one mem stick, see how that works out.
Sometime system even "shutsdown" during postboot and normal bot sq. prior to Windows load.

Drivers? Sound/video/chipset (intel)

Might be, since this issue arrived after i "upgraded" from 8 to 8.1, (which also failed, and to do a clean).

But would not it show up in Event log then as a failure at some level?

Driver level issues will be in the eventlog. It's more likely a hardware issue.

Driver level issues will be in the eventlog. It's more likely a hardware issue.

As i suspected :)

Running one and one ram now, with high I/O process which caused is a good "stress test" been along time since ive run so little memory, system is sloooow :p

I've seen a case where the computer turns off/restarts at idle right after resources intensive processing but never during it. Turned out it was the mainboard.

I'd suspect mobo or CPU.

Would be a shame :/ not much difference in performance from i930 to newest i7 cpues :/
Nor do i want to upgrade yet. Would be nice with more cores for VM when i first do an upgrade

I am testing mem now with only one stick of ram. doing some encoding and hashing. (300MB/s atm) to see if i can get an error again. then repeat with rest of the ram one by one.

I would suspect the power supply. Your 1200W PSU is way oversized for your system anyway.

I suspect the PSU as well. Had similar issues where my PC would randomly turn off, ended up being the power supply. Strange thing is it would never happen while playing a game. X58 platform & Corsair PSU as well.

After some back and forth, I am pretty sure it is a memmory issue, since i removed every stick and ran one and one, and had noe issue, i am running 8 out of 12GB and not had any issue, so i susepct there might be an issue with one of the last two sticks ,.

I would suspect the power supply. Your 1200W PSU is way oversized for your system anyway.

Before i ran a 620w system did not even boot up, (spin up of 16 hdds was its fault,) and i got a very good deal on this 1200w. so :)

A low quality 620W PSU may not deliver even what a 400W Seasonic platinum series does. The problem with switching PSUs is that if you run the PSU at very low load the power may become dirty and this can even break your hardware.

You should always try to size your PSU to be under 60-80% of its nominal load in order to get it to run clean and efficient. If your PSU feeds ripple to your hardware it can shorten your device life and even cause problems with your memory sticks. Hell I even think it can make your dick shorter!

Back