Windows 8.1 + Skydrive

Fooshnik

2[H]4U
I have Windows 8 on my media PC (it came with it), so I heard that with Windows 8.1 all of your settings (and files?) are cloned on Skydrive. Is there a way to "upgrade" without having any of your information on Skydrive?

Question B: My profile's been on Skydrive this whole time, hasn't it?

When I was asked for my MS account information, I clicked "new account" then cancelled and it let me past without ever setting it up. My account is still very local, all apps deleted and MS Store disabled. startisback+ installed, metro bypassed... At this point the only thing that is still bugging me is the secureboot watermark in the corner. I'll wait a few days and see what bypasses people find for that and wipe it out too. :D

If you haven't given them info for skydrive, then I doubt anything would be on it.

ya its annoying, i swear the upgrade took longer than the full install of 8, but ya the only way to skip is to go new account then cancel out... sneaky :). Im used to metro now though, doesn't bother me. Only thing that i didn't like is the skype metro app lost my account info because it tried to default it to the "skipped new ms account" but no biggy :)

good luck, i like windows 8 just fine, people love to complain. don't worry though MAC updates are getting worse and worse than windows so take comfort :p

I have Windows 8 on my media PC (it came with it), so I heard that with Windows 8.1 all of your settings (and files?) are cloned on Skydrive. Is there a way to "upgrade" without having any of your information on Skydrive?

Question B: My profile's been on Skydrive this whole time, hasn't it?
With 8.1, if you are using a local account you can't use Skydrive.

What type of account are you using with 8?

I vaguely recall setting up something about Skydrive as a "just to see what it is" type of thing, I have no idea if my profile is actually on there. I'll have to find out. Not a big deal, it's just a media PC, but I prefer to be the one with backups of my stuff.

@Fooshnik: If you have used the Microsoft account (live/hotmail/outlook/...) to log on your PC then the profiles will be synced to Microsoft's cloud by default.

You can still use Local account on Windows 8.1.

Back