Windows 8.1 clean install??

Kiri

Limp Gawd
I am running windows 8 now, and so should be able to upgrade to 8.1 for free.
However, I do not want to install it over my current windows but want to do a totally fresh install (since I am building a new PC and, I assume, need to do a clean install anyway).
Does anyone know if this is possible?
Or would I have to do a fresh install of win 8 in my new PC build, and then upgrade to 8.1 ?

You have to download a Windows 8.1 iso (no official way at the moment) and use a generic installation key during setup. After the installation is complete you change the key to your Windows 8 key and activate it. Works just fine I did a clean installation of 8.1 like that.

Is it possible to do a clean install of windows 8.1 with media center that way?

I used my Windows 8 Pro x64 SB serial key to acticate my 8.1 installation, no media center here. I read that people had no problems getting media center running with their Win8 keys.

I'm downloading the Windows 8.1 ISO right now from this listed website. Just click on Install Windows 8 and run the .exe file and enter in your retail Windows 8 key, then when it starts to download the file, immediately stop the download. Next go back to the same website and click on Install Windows 8.1. You should start downloading Windows 8.1 ISO automatically.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

It's similar to how upgrades were handled for systems to windows 8 that people wanted ISOs for, enter your product key, on the system you want up upgrade and choose the iso option.

I'm downloading the Windows 8.1 ISO right now from this listed website. Just click on Install Windows 8 and run the .exe file and enter in your retail Windows 8 key, then when it starts to download the file, immediately stop the download. Next go back to the same website and click on Install Windows 8.1. You should start downloading Windows 8.1 ISO automatically.

Mind putting up a torrent of it :) Is the key hooked to the ISO after doing that?

Mind putting up a torrent of it :) Is the key hooked to the ISO after doing that?

I think it is. From the screen shots I have seen of the MD5 hash it would appear they are unique. At least the ones I have seen do not match with each other nor do they look like my ISO.

Were you able to successfully clean install 8.1?

Also, the webpage claims you must have Windows installed already... shouldn't you be able to boot off this and clean install on a new drive?

Thanks

I cloned my drive and gave it a shot, it works fine as long as you already know your Product Key.

Weird but worth a try, thanks.

UPDATE: Ok that works. WTF, why does MS make it such a pain in the ass to get a ISO for software I paid for :eek:

Last edited:
Weird but worth a try, thanks.

UPDATE: Ok that works. WTF, why does MS make it such a pain in the ass to get a ISO for software I paid for :eek:

I'm downloading the Win 8.1 ISO per above as we speak.Were you able to activate with your Windows 8 Key ?

I'm downloading the Win 8.1 ISO per above as we speak.Were you able to activate with your Windows 8 Key ?

Nope, had to use one of the fake keys... And I was disconnected during the install. Haven't tried to activate after installing yet.

Last edited:
Also I just noticed the Warning not to format your hard drive before installing Win 8 or 8.1. I want to clean install on a new drive. Anyone actually done this ?

I did it by using a trial key and then switching to my pro key
I had to call MS and go through the new key process but that wasn't a big deal

and the reason it's so hard to get a clean 8.1 ISO with everyone's 8 key is because they practically gave them away for $20
I don't think anyone should be complaining

I did it by using a trial key and then switching to my pro key
I had to call MS and go through the new key process but that wasn't a big deal

and the reason it's so hard to get a clean 8.1 ISO with everyone's 8 key is because they practically gave them away for $20
I don't think anyone should be complaining

How much people paid is irrelevant for the problem.

How much people paid is irrelevant for the problem.
it is relevant because there is no "problem"

if you buy a fully qualified key you put it into the site and download the ISO
if you have an upgrade key you have to download the correct ISO or do a workaround

now if you bought a fully qualified key and experienced problems obtaining the ISO that would be one thing but it's certainly not true that MS is making it difficult to obtain the ISO for the key purchased
you see a lot of complaints because people bought upgrade keys for cheap and don't want to abide by the license requirements

Ok, so will I be able to use this method to install windows 8.1 in a new PC build?
Technically I have windows 8 already installed on the HD, but when I put that HD into a new PC (with new hardware), I'm guessing it won't work. Hence my original question about whether I can clean install windows 8.1 onto the drive when I put it in the new PC/
Sorry, it's a bit confusing. I'm not sure what the best way to tackle this is.

Strange. I followed those instructions but when I click on Install windows 8.1 all I get is another 4.7MB exe file, no ISO.

Also I just noticed the Warning not to format your hard drive before installing Win 8 or 8.1. I want to clean install on a new drive. Anyone actually done this ?

I did, with 8, not 8.1. Worked fine.

Strange. I followed those instructions but when I click on Install windows 8.1 all I get is another 4.7MB exe file, no ISO.

You have to let it download the ISO doesn't show up till the end of the process when you tell it what media you want.

I followed the steps as set out by Betanews and that worked fine. I now have an ISO ready to burn on a DVD.

cheers

Why did MS make this such a pain in the ass, makes you wonder.

I just went to my schools msdnaa website and downloaded the 8.1 iso there, painless. :p

Betanews has some instructions for doing this:
http://betanews.com/2013/10/21/down...ing-a-windows-8-key-and-some-simple-trickery/
I believe you still have to input the OEM key to install it and then activate using your real key.
I'm curious if this is the same ISO as the RTM and Technet version. Those both had day 1 patches totaling 200+MB. It's not as bad as having to reinstall Windows and patch it to 8.1, though.

2 Questions.

Is this ISO only for the key used to create it or can you use it on any PC later that you have a key for?

Is this ISO 8.1 only or does it install 8.1Pro if you have a proper 8.1 Pro key?

I just did the instructions but I am curious if I made an ISO that will be useful later on all PC's I want to install 8.1/8.1Pro on or an ISO just for my PC. Hoping the former.

2 Questions.

Is this ISO only for the key used to create it or can you use it on any PC later that you have a key for?

Is this ISO 8.1 only or does it install 8.1Pro if you have a proper 8.1 Pro key?

I just did the instructions but I am curious if I made an ISO that will be useful later on all PC's I want to install 8.1/8.1Pro on or an ISO just for my PC. Hoping the former.

I burned an ISO and a USB drive per the above instructions and have clean installed 8.1 PRO on two new drives and activated both with my Win 8 Pro Key.

I haven't tried it, but supposedly you can now install Windows 8.1 a whopping 81 times. Using the BetaNews method, you can create either a DVD or installable USB stick, which will work with formatted machines.
You might write down those installation keys just in case you run into trouble at some point, but your normal pro/upgrade key will still work fine to activate.

Are all 8.1 isos created equal? And do they need a key. I'd like to install the iso for 8.1 on 8 enterprise but I no longer have access to technet.

Back