Windows 7?

insaneshell

Limp Gawd
So to test it out before I finish commisioning this AXP as a data server, I was wondering its got 1.5gb of DDR400, an AXP3100 @ 2.1ghz on a 400mhz Bus, and a Geforce 6200 AGP with a 160gb HD. What do you think install 7?

Yes. The OS itself is very light, it's applications that tend to require lots of ram and cpu.

Don't install the 64bit version. It will most likely have no or crappy drivers for something that old. My amd 939 a8n-e will bsod because of the nic drivers on 64bit but is perfectly stable on 32bit win7.

So to test it out before I finish commisioning this AXP as a data server, I was wondering its got 1.5gb of DDR400, an AXP3100 @ 2.1ghz on a 400mhz Bus, and a Geforce 6200 AGP with a 160gb HD. What do you think install 7?

Go for it!! :D

I've actually installed Windows 7 on something similar:

P4 2.6 Ghz (800FSB) with HT
128MB Radeon 9200
1gb of RAM
160GB Samsung IDE HDD

It ran fine although I was stuck with inbox drivers for the video. :(

I suggest either upgrading to 2 gb ram or a 2gb usb flash for readyboost. Both would be even better.

I have an Athlon 64 3000+ with win7 and the "2+2" makes a big difference.

So to test it out before I finish commisioning this AXP as a data server,

Serving <what> for data..and to how many concurrent users if it's going to be a "server"?
It won't be a ball of fire on an old single core. I've used WIn7 on early 2.0 GHz pre-H/T Pentium 4 rigs with 1 gig of RAM...you need a little patience when launching apps, but it works.

its gonna be connected via a router to my shops network lol. To transfer antivirus and cleaning programs to client machines and to do the reverse and transfer client data to the rack as a backup if i need to wipe there drives

its gonna be connected via a router to my shops network lol. To transfer antivirus and cleaning programs to client machines

USB thumb drive a tad easier, no? And no cost to operate over the long run. Don't have to network infested client rigs to your main network and deal with getting file 'n print sharing stuff to work....which can be a pain if it's infected. Not to mention..plugging an infected rig into your own network risks spreading the infection.

except the client network is seperate from the main network lol. This is also used to backup to the storage racks, which run off of a SATA card to each 2tb Drive. The shops systems are on a seperate network all together and both networks have there own internet, I don't put the shop's systems on the same network. This is just more efficent than a thumb drive for me, i need the system to handle data backup when I need to wipe windows and messing with an External hard drive takes time and time = money.

If it will run in Virtual PC with the crummy old hardware that visualizes it should run fine with the hardware you specified.

Back