Windows 7 x64 taskbar preview disabled

SXO

Limp Gawd
I've searched all over the internet for a solution to this, but nothing I've tried has worked, so I decided to see if someone here at the [H] could offer some suggestions.

I just recently set up my nVidia Surround with 460's in SLI using 3 ASUS VW224U monitors. Everything went relatively smoothly, except I now have a strange problem. My taskbar preview stopped working. If I have several windows open, and I hover my mouse over the icon on the taskbar, I get small icons and the name of the window instead of the usual preview pane. All my other aero functions still work correctly, like the desktop peek on the lower right of the screen and Alt-Tab switching.

I've tried numerous solutions, like updating the Windows Experience index (only have 5.9 due to my hard drives, with everything else being 7.5+), and disabling the "Turn off taskbar thumbnails" setting in gpedit.msc. All to no avail.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution? Or can anyone offer some suggestions to try and fix this? The preview feature is one of the very few features I actually make frequent use of in Windows 7, so this is actually quite annoying.

Try this.

Go back to gpedit and ensure turn off taskbar is disabled, go back to not configured then apply

Right click, personalize, under aero theme, click Windows 7 (allow it to put the computer back to default)

Hit start, type in 'adjust appearance and performance' and click that. Make sure "let windows choose" is selected.

Check the thumbnails.

Unfortunately the problem still persists. Thanks for your suggestions though.

I find aero problems are sometimes there result of UAC. If you have it on, try disabling it and rebooting and see if you still have the problem or not.

This isn't correctable, your resolution is too high for taskbar thumbnails to work (same exact thing happens with ATI cards and eyefinity).

Drop down to a single display (or three in extended desktop mode rather than spanned) and those taskbar thumbnails will magically start working again.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Ah, that's what I was afraid would be the case. It would be nice if there was a workaround to force it on regardless of the reso. Thanks for clarrifying it though.

Back