Windows 7 won't recognize Seagate External HDD

AMD_RULES

2[H]4U
I have a 500GB Seagate FreeAgent M Series external hard drive that my laptop won't recognize. It worked fine for a few days, but then all of a sudden it stopped recognize it. I'm positive the drive isn't broken. Every so often the computer will recognize the drive and it will show up in my computer. I've tried uninstalling the USB driver and it does nothing. A simple reboot does not allow the drive to be recognized either.

What can I do to fix this?

This message pops up:
USB Device Not Recognized
One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message.

Well I got it fixed... was able to get the computer to see the drive again and assigned it a random drive letter number. It's appearing every time now.

Can you share the solution that worked for you? I'm experiencing exact same symptoms and have not been able to resolve yet, it's under warranty and Seagate says to send it in and they'll replace, but there is data on it I'd like to be able to save before sending it. Thank you for any updates.

Can you share the solution that worked for you? I'm experiencing exact same symptoms and have not been able to resolve yet, it's under warranty and Seagate says to send it in and they'll replace, but there is data on it I'd like to be able to save before sending it. Thank you for any updates.

My drive just happend to show up in my computer... I assigned it a random drive letter, as I have another external drive that would occupy this drive's drive letter. Also I unplugged the power from the external hdd while the USB was still attached.

Good luck!

looks like loose just a loose connection hehehe...
good that its now working.

Back