Windows 7 & Utorrent Kills Wireless Keyboard & Mouse

Caligatio

n00b
I recently purchased an i7 920 , GA-X58-UDR3 & 6 gigs DDR3. Installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and everything works great! Only problem I am having is when I am using Utorrent (Recent Version) or downloading something I loose Full function of my keyboard. It misses key strokes and sometimes hold keys down as well.
It affects my mouse as well It seems the faster i download the worse it gets. I know very strange. Any ideas?? Anything would help! Thanks again.

Use the regular Bit Torrent client and see if problem persist? Actually I dont think its an utorrent related problem.

Thats what I thought at first as well. I have tried a few different things to see if the problem is Utorrent, and it is. I tried downloading through web browsers, game updates, and other sources that can stream data at min of 600kbs/sec. None of them slow it down. Only utorrent does this. I cant figure out why, I am going to try and install a different version and see if that fixes the problem. Until then other Ideas would be welcome. I will let you know how it goes :)

Caligatio, do you happen to be using wireless for utorrent?

The reason why I ask, your problem screams of wireless interference due to over congestion. There have been known cases of bluetooth keyboards or devices in the 2.4ghz band not working nicely with 802.11b/g and thus forced some router manufacturers to include bluetooth co-op mode to play nice.

If you do have a wireless keyboard & mouse see if you can reproduce the problem with a wired keyboard.

Caligatio, do you happen to be using wireless for utorrent?

The reason why I ask, your problem screams of wireless interference due to over congestion. There have been known cases of bluetooth keyboards or devices in the 2.4ghz band not working nicely with 802.11b/g and thus forced some router manufacturers to include bluetooth co-op mode to play nice.

If you do have a wireless keyboard & mouse see if you can reproduce the problem with a wired keyboard.

but then the issue should still arise when downloading via ftp, browser, etc, which he states has no negative impact.

maybe find an older version of utorrent? I still run 1.6 myself!

but then the issue should still arise when downloading via ftp, browser, etc, which he states has no negative impact

Not necessarily, since that is only one connection. Utorrent will have lots of simultaneous connections going in and out, generating a lot more interference.

I would try lowering your incoming connection from unlimited to maybe 5 or 10 and see what happens. On an older computer, uTorrent set on unlimited ate up all my CPU cycle and internet bandwidth.

Not necessarily, since that is only one connection. Utorrent will have lots of simultaneous connections going in and out, generating a lot more interference.

in regards to the bandwidth spectrum, it shouldn't matter whether it's 10 connections eating up 5 megs (total) or 1 connection eating up 5 megs, the spectrum is still using 5 megs.

no?

Well I can tell you this, I am not having any load on my CPU or RAM when using Utorrent, so it is deffinitly not a problem with that, and no I am not using a wireless card either. I tried connecting a normal keyboard and mouse and everything works great. Its still very strange to me why this would be happening, anyway I have not yet tried an older version of Utorrent. I have not yet had time to do so, as life can become busy. Anyway, I will let you all know how that turns out. I am surprised that I can not find anything on the internet relating to this problem. I have looked for a few hours and still nothing. Utorrent should not have an effect on how my wireless keyboard and mouse work. It has nothing to do with anything relating to that. So as you can see why I am so baffled. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

I have been using W7 x64/wireless keyboard and mouse/uTorrent daily for a year without an issue.

Are you using bluetooth for your keyboard/mouse?

I had a BT MX1000 mouse that I simply cannot use at home - it tends to skip around when the wireless network is under load. I've got my PC and my media server plugged into a DD-WRT router functioning as an AP - bridged to my main router (which is in the living room running the Xbox 360, Tivo, etc).

I found if I was copying files over the wireless the BT mouse skipped around a lot more.

I ended up just sticking it in the cabinet and not using it, it was too bad.

I use one when I'm watching movies in the living room, haven't had any problems yet.

in regards to the bandwidth spectrum, it shouldn't matter whether it's 10 connections eating up 5 megs (total) or 1 connection eating up 5 megs, the spectrum is still using 5 megs.

no?

It makes a huge difference - I'm assuming those 5 megs of bandwidth are actual file-bytes received by your computer. There's a bunch of overhead associated with TCPIP packets, so the more packets you use to send the same amount of data the more bits will be on the bus(in this case, flying through the air).

Also, just downloading something from an FTP server is really only going to generate a significant amount of traffic in one direction (router->PC). Downloading a torrent causes a huge number of packets to be sent out from the PC. All this gets much worse if you happen to also be sharing the file as you are downloading it.

Hello,

I have had exactly the same problem and thought I would add some info to the investigation..

I have a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse (laser). Never had problems with the mouse, but the keyboard definitively fails when using uTorrent (some letters won't type, sometimes almost no characters at all) - it gets worse the more I download and the faster uTorrent downloads.

Interesting is that this occurred on 2 PCs I owned
- ASUS P5LD2 deluxe based Pentium D running Vista 32bit
- Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 based core i7 running Windows 7 64 bit

Always directly linked to my ADSL router/modem - no WiFi.

I gave up on using uTorrent as I can't log in to Windows if I let it run (can't type in password).

The problem does not occurr with a normal (non-wireless) keyboard.

Network adapter on P5LD2 Deluxe: Marvell 88E8053 PCI-E Gb LAN controller
Networ adapter on GA-EX58-UD5: 2 x Realtek 8111D chips (10/100/1000 Mbit)

What else could we investigate to pin this problem down?

I could try running uTorrent in a virtual PC session and see how it behaves from there.. not sure how to forward the ports though..

All the best,
cam

I am having the same problem with a nmediapc wireless keyboard with trackball...When utorrent is downloading over 500kbps my keyboard and track ball are much less responsive...key strokes are lost and the courser moves slower on the screen...i have tried disabling every option in utorrent with no luck...when utorrent isn't downloading or downloading slowly the problem isn't noticeable...It seems like the usb polling needs increased but I have yet to figure out how to do this in Win 7.

Interesting to see more people are encountering this.
What I find even weirder is that once this problem starts, the wireless keyboard never works ok again afterwards..
reformulated:

Windows 7 clean install, keyboard works fine for more than a week, not a key missed (no logitech drivers either).

Install uTorrent, download 1 file at high speed. Keyboard starts acting funny.
Problem persists after download.

De-install uTorrent, problem persists.

Replug my wired keyboad in order to be able to type in login password and work normally.

What's causing this? Could the procedure described by Logitech do de-securise the connection between PC and Keyboard solve this persisting problem.

When I installed the logitech drivers I got a problem with all icons/items of the active view/window cycling through all the "view" modes - makes you feel like PC is going crazy.
Had this on Vista, very disappointed to see this on a new PC with Windows 7 as well.

I will do a post on the logitech forum, did not do it yet.

best,
pm

Ok. Letters missing when you type?
Do you have similar hardware?

The missing letters are caused by your keyboard running out of ink. That's all. Get some more keyboard ink.

This is an example of what happens when your keyboard ink is running low.

The missing letters are caused by your keyboard running out of ink. That's all. Get some more keyboard ink.

This is an example of what happens when your keyboard ink is running low.

This could very well be the problem. it's sad how nobody these days does even basic maintenance on their peripherals.

OP, check your keyboard's ink level.

on a more serious note.. did any of you having the same logitech keyboard/mouse problem when downloading book any progress.

Just tried re-installing latest setpoint and unsecuring the keyboard encryption, but still the same issue..

No one?

Maybe a hardware savvie out there could come up with a series of tests or hypotheses?

Some more findings:
- occurs with or without logitech setpoint software - so out of the box 7 & vista has the problem
- occurs not only with uTorrent, but also when downloading a big file using browser link

No one?

Maybe a hardware savvie out there could come up with a series of tests or hypotheses?

Some more findings:
- occurs with or without logitech setpoint software - so out of the box 7 & vista has the problem
- occurs not only with uTorrent, but also when downloading a big file using browser link

I couldn't tell you. I'm using a Logitech Cordless Desktop S520 keyboard and mouse combo here at work which uses an infrared receiver and uTorrent works fine with it. At home I use a Logitech G15 gaming keyboard and Logitech VX Revolution mouse and uTorrent works there too. My HTPC uses a radio frequency Microsoft keyboard and mouse for the 30-feet non-LOS capability - no uTorrent problems.

I've checked it all so I could say this here.

Do you have a non-Logitech mouse to test and see if it's a Logitech related issue?

Edit: my mentioning of the radio frequency Microsoft keyboard and mouse combo makes me think it might be related to wireless signal interference. RF keyboards and mice use the 2.4GHz frequency. Wireless routers and access points also use 2.4GHz frequency in addition to 5GHz. Even if your computer is wired, your keyboard and mouse might be interfering with it's ability to deliver packets through the router, possibly intercepting it and naturally terminating it since obviously the keyboard and mouse cannot use the data.

Test this by going into your router's web configuration and disabling wireless, or changing the frequency to 5GHz and see what happens.

Last edited:
Thanks for the support.
In my setup there is no wireless network component at all.
Router has no WiFi, and PC is connected wired.

Good idea to try with other mouse; I have a small USB mouse for my laptop.
I've already ditched the wireless logitech keyboard, will probably do the same with the mouse as it is really not usable when downloading.

Setpoint software made my icons go crazy again yesterday - whad to kill the process - will de-install asap.

I want to revisit this thread because I just got a new Bluetooth receiver for my laptop and I'm experiencing the same thing you are and thought maybe you'd appreciate this additional information.

When I'm listening to music from my laptop through my Bluetooth device, and when I'm downloading something at the same time, my RF mouse and keyboard becomes extremely unresponsive and sometimes doesn't work at all until the download is complete.

If I disable wireless internet and plug my network cable in and listen to music through my Bluetooth device, my keyboard and mouse works fine.

It seems like there's some severe lack of bandwidth through the laptop's Bluetooth and WiFi frequency.

So maybe you can look into that.

I'm not sure why this would be the issue considering WiFi is using 5.0Ghz and the keyboard/mouse RF is using 2.4GHz and it's own USB receiver. I'm not sure what freq Bluetooth is using. So it's probably a bus issue. My touchpad and laptop keyboard works fine with Bluetooth enabled while downloading. Just not my RF keyboard and mouse.

this is a common issue. most noticeable when uploading over 100kb/s or downloading over 800kb/s. i had this problem with the logitech vx nano. currently NOT having this problem with my razer mamba, though.

Back