windows 7 user folder shared, and user account in that folder

eddie500

Gawd
In my windows 7 professional, I have my user account or admin account called Comp5, I guess I named my computer this when I first installed windows 7 and it is my admin account.

When I click on my c:\users account I have two folders in that directory

Public
Comp5

This Comp5 has all my files on my hard drive in it.

I know my Users account is shared, so does this mean my Comp5 is shared, and therefore my whole hard drive?

I don't have another computer to test it, but if I click on Network\\comp5\users\\comp5 I can see all my files. This is while I use my comp5 computer.

This scares me because I think my roommates connected to my wifi network may have access.

If they do not have access, why is my administrator account "comp5", in my users folder?

You can see all your files because you are the administrator so you have permissions.

You would want to check what sharing you have enabled. Open Network and Sharing Center > Advanced Share settings, then check those settings.

You probably have network discovery and file and print sharing enabled which is fine, you can disable it if you want but then you would not be able to see much on your network either.

The public folder is specifically for sharing stuff using the public share function on the Advanced Share page (you will see the option for it) Currently it should not contain anything but is there by default.

Back