Windows 7 upgrade question. Can I do this...?

cuemasterfl

Supreme [H]ardness
I bought a new computer in early July, which entitled me to a free W7 upgrade. It's on its way but I don't know when it will arrive. On Friday, I bought the 3 x License family pack from Best Buy for my other 3 computers. I used one of the licenses on the laptop yesterday (all fine and dandy). My questions is this: can I use one of those 3 licenses on MY machine, and not wait for the one coming in the mail? Then, when it comes, I can use that license on one of my other 2 machines (which are in storage for another 2 weeks until we can move into our new house). I didn't know if the license that's on its way to me in the mail was somehow tied to the machine I bought in July.

TIA!

I am also running the 90 day trial of W7 on this machine (build 7600). Is this the final version? Any advantage in using the DVD over just changing the product key (right click My Computer > properties).

Last edited:
I am also running the 90 day trial of W7 on this machine (build 7600). Is this the final version? Any advantage in using the DVD over just changing the product key (right click My Computer > properties).

The DVD will contain 7600. That's the only version available, OEM, retail or MSDN.

Actually, it says I have the Enterprise version, so I guess I will have to do a backup/format/reinstall everything (which I don't mind at all) when the trial expires.....right?

can I use one of those 3 licenses on MY machine, and not wait for the one coming in the mail?

There is no practical mechanism to prevent you from doing so.

Then, when it comes, I can use that license on one of my other 2 machines (which are in storage for another 2 weeks until we can move into our new house).

Again, there is no practical mechanism to prevent you from doing so. Remember, however, that when using an upgrade install key you'll either need to have a qualifying install of an older version in place, or use an upgrade install workaround.

I didn't know if the license that's on its way to me in the mail was somehow tied to the machine I bought in July.

It may be 'tied' to that machine in a legality.legitimacy sense, but as I keep repeating, there is no included practical mechanism to prevent you from doing so.

Actually, it says I have the Enterprise version, so I guess I will have to do a backup/format/reinstall everything (which I don't mind at all) when the trial expires.....right?

Right. You will need to start over again from scratch if you have installed the 'Enterprise' trial.

I bought a new computer in early July, which entitled me to a free W7 upgrade. It's on its way but I don't know when it will arrive. On Friday, I bought the 3 x License family pack from Best Buy for my other 3 computers. I used one of the licenses on the laptop yesterday (all fine and dandy). My questions is this: can I use one of those 3 licenses on MY machine, and not wait for the one coming in the mail? Then, when it comes, I can use that license on one of my other 2 machines (which are in storage for another 2 weeks until we can move into our new house). I didn't know if the license that's on its way to me in the mail was somehow tied to the machine I bought in July.

TIA!

It doesn't matter because the key you're getting from the free upgrade isn't tied to anything yet. As long as the systems you are upgrading qualifies for windows 7 upgrade then you're not doing anything illegal and it doesn't matter what order you install them in. If it really bothers you and you want to put that key on that system, you can install 7 now anyways and just rearm it 3 times and get 120 days out of it. By then you'll get the key.

Back