windows 7 ultimate loading issues

echo5kw

n00b
So I've scoured around trying to find some kinda solution to my computers ills and no one seems to have a decent solution. So hoping someone here has some kinda idea to throw at me. My computer froze a while back, I did a restart on it and it froze at the windows loading screen, the one right before you select a user. So again, restarted it and same thing. I tried loading it in safe mode and it would freeze on the loading bar. Trying the built in repair function or repairing via a windows disk all yields the same results. I took it into a local repair shop and they ran a diagnostics on everything and said the only error they coukd find was my psu not outputting properly. Replacing the psu resulted in nothing. Im kinda at my wits end and am hoping someone has any ideas as to the cause. Thanks in advance!

Oh, almost fprgot specs...
evga 670i mboard
Radeon hd 5850
Core2quad 6700 I believe (its the low end higher wattage quad)
Toughpower 850/ raidmax850 psus
4 gig corsair ram
2x seagate 250 gig hdd's

Yeah, bad HD or RAM would be my thought also. Could be a bad motherboard or CPU. You have access to another computer with similar hardware to see if the drive will boot in it? Will help you narrow down if it is related to the harddrive / OS or some thing with the rest of the machine. Also try to remove everything unneeded such as your DVD drive, anything in pci slots

If the old PSU was misbehaving, it could have damaged other components. Besides that, I'd check if the CPU heatsink is properly mounted.

Download Hiren's bootCD and boot from that. Free Memtest and all major HDD tests built in. That will let you know exactly whats wrong.
-BTY

First off i wanted to say thanks to everyone for the advice. Going over everything i've heard from in here as well as talking with some friends, i've pulled the HDD's and tried using them as best i can in a friends computer (i'm in the military so 90% of the people i know have laptops, which makes this a bit more difficult), but i did manage to get it scanned for viruses and it came up with a few. however since deleting/cleaning said viruses, i've still not had any luck. i've used the seagate utilities on my OS HDD and came back with no errors. i've tried using each stick of ram i've got in turn to see if one will let me load. i've tried using a brand new HDD and booting from the cd. i've tried making a USB bootable. None of them seem to be working, it always freezes at the same point (either when the four little color orb things start moving, or the screen with just a loading bar and windows underneath). i've double checked my CPU to see if it was misseated, and the sink is still on there fine, and nothing looks wrong with the paste. I've tried unplugging every peripheral possible, but i don't have a spare GPU lying around to try (the 670i from EVGA didn't have any kind of motherboard video output). So i'm kind of at a loss here. I'm starting to suspect more and more that i've got some kinda crazy mobo issue, but...is there any way of confirming?

I will be trying Hiren's bootcd in a bit, just trying to get it downloaded and burned now.

Thanks again for the help, always gotta love the [H]

Only way to test a motherboard issue would really be to swap out the parts into another motherboard and see if they work that way. I think that you might be correct though in thinking motherboard given how it sounds

Is it a legal or hacked copy? I just repaired a system for someone who's hacked copy of 7 would not boot. I told them I wouldn't do anything for them except roll back to their legal OS, which was Vista.

Well after dverything...a friend is building a new rig so I snaked his.old mobo, cpu and ram, threw it together very temporarily and lo and behold...everything started up with nary a problem. So im either looking at mobo or ram being bad. Joy. Ipso facto, new ram and motherboard here I come. Thanks for all the help/sufgestions in pointing me out somewhere new, I really do appreciate it

Back