Windows 7 - The undisputed king... and it ain't even finished yet :)

Where are the actual benchmarks? If you look at the review, it's just a bunch of 1, 2 and 3's which represent what? Where are the actual numbers showing 7 is so good as he claims it to be?

Windows 7 may or may not be the next definitive OS, but if you're trying to use this article to back up your claims you're just a tool.

The EULA prevents anyone from releasing benchmarks from the beta. So to get around that he ranks it 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

I have Vista x64, Windows 7 build 7000 and OSX 10.5.6 on the same machine. Which makes it easy to test all operating systems with the exact same hardware.

Contrary to popular belief Vista spanks the crap out of OSX in terms of speed and overall system responsiveness. Also in gaming when using native games such as WoW I get higher FPS in Vista than OSX.

However I do like the look, feel and cleanliness of OSX.

I don't know what kind of benchmarks or test you performed but OSX blows away Vista on my hackintosh or MBP. The start up time for OSX is about 1/10th that of Vista and it's a helluvalot more responsive. However the biggest benefit of OSX is no malware, viruses or annoying toolbars being installed left and right.

I don't know what kind of benchmarks or test you performed but OSX blows away Vista on my hackintosh or MBP. The start up time for OSX is about 1/10th that of Vista and it's a helluvalot more responsive. However the biggest benefit of OSX is no malware, viruses or annoying toolbars being installed left and right.

I have no issues with malware, viruses or toolbars in windows.

The things that really slow down OSX, extracting large files with marpardeluxe. Kills the responsiveness of the system and it takes twice as long as doing the same operation in windows.
Doing any sort of video conversions in virsual hub also kill the responsiveness. Granted I did also have itunes open and browsing on firefox but the same operations in windows leave it fully responsive. In OSX things are a bit slower to respond and there is even some delay to the dock.
Startup time for OSX is slightly faster. Not a big difference.

Now i'm irritated because visual hub refuses to stitch some avi files togther that it had originally converted and now the app is no longer supported.
I do really like Transmission and Unison. I love disk burning in OSX.
Though I wish it had a cut and paste. I find myself copying and pasting and then having to go back to delete. One can do a drag and drop with local drives but then I have to have another finder window open. A drag and drop to my server won't removing the original files so I have to go back and delete after the transfer. So i'd like a cut and paste, but not a big deal.

And I wish that a copy and paste in a folder with some identical files would result in a merge like in windows as opposed to a complete deletion of everything in the folder and then only the new files placed in.

I call BS

32bit vista with 1gb is slow as hell, no way its neck and neck with XP. Haven't tested windows 7 with 1gb of ram myself but I don't think its faster than XP.

I have no issues with malware, viruses or toolbars in windows.

Can't say I do either, or ever have since Windows 3.1. It always confuses me when people cite that as an advantage of another platform. Yes, OS X/Linux/etc might indeed have fewer viruses/malware programs, but I've never been affected by them on Windows and don't take any special precautions other than keeping up to date with patches and not running programs from dubious sources or accepting unsolicited installations.

However the biggest benefit of OSX is no malware, viruses or annoying toolbars being installed left and right.

:rolleyes:

Sorry bud, but just because there's nobody actively writing malware for OS X is no reason to call it more secure. Security through obscurity only goes so far. It's been shown that if someone sits down and actually tries to screw OS X up it can be done. Rather easily at that (2 min hack, anyone???). Contrast that to UAC which nobody has gotten around to-date.
Shoot, 2 YEARS RUNNING, OS X has had more security vulnerabilities than Windows. Both Symantec and IBM have released reports stating that fact (as well as it's not really confidential information anyway). What's the Cult's excuse for that one?

Toolbars are hardly something you can blame Microsoft for. Just because every software package on the planet has the default options checked to install their POS toolbars, isn't something that is a problem with Windows.
If Microsoft blocked toolbars, what would you complain about then? That OS X allows toolbars and Windows sucks because doesn't? :rolleyes: Double standards rule the Mac community, that's for sure.

The EULA prevents anyone from releasing benchmarks from the beta. So to get around that he ranks it 1st, 2nd and 3rd.
I learned something today ;) I didn't know that. Has this always held true with their Betas?

I know people get disgusted when the thread gets off the topic, but there are malware and virus for Linux and OSX. Before hardcore Windows boys cheer on, the quantity of virus correlates to the quantity of market share isn't true. We have to start viewing things in the kernel to application level. Windows by design allows software vendors do whatever they please. This gives tons of room for virus and malware writers do the same. Apple always has been very closed environment OS. Linux is very open, but UNIX always have been interactive OS. That means receiver, user, and admin must interact with the virus or malware before it gets installed. Unix based kernel behaves totally differnet than Windows. OSX has very few virus. Many of them are minor and very few critical. Anyway, that is all I am going to say. If you want detail analysis, you can always use google get your answers. I'm sure someone will yell out and say, “please scan some books for us and make us a pdf book we can download!” Google is your friend. Don't be afraid.

:rolleyes:

Sorry bud, but just because there's nobody actively writing malware for OS X is no reason to call it more secure. Security through obscurity only goes so far. It's been shown that if someone sits down and actually tries to screw OS X up it can be done. Rather easily at that (2 min hack, anyone???). Contrast that to UAC which nobody has gotten around to-date.
Shoot, 2 YEARS RUNNING, OS X has had more security vulnerabilities than Windows. Both Symantec and IBM have released reports stating that fact (as well as it's not really confidential information anyway). What's the Cult's excuse for that one?

Toolbars are hardly something you can blame Microsoft for. Just because every software package on the planet has the default options checked to install their POS toolbars, isn't something that is a problem with Windows.
If Microsoft blocked toolbars, what would you complain about then? That OS X allows toolbars and Windows sucks because doesn't? :rolleyes: Double standards rule the Mac community, that's for sure.

I learned something today ;) I didn't know that. Has this always held true with their Betas?

I don't really care WHY OSX doesn't have malware and spyware. It may be "security by obscurity" or not, to be honest I don't care about that. What I DO know is that I never have to run spyware scanner on my Mac or worry about having a virus scanner eating up resources to slow down my system. It doesn't hurt that iPhoto is freakin' awesome and easy enough so that my g/f can use it.

What I DO know is that I never have to run spyware scanner on my Mac or worry about having a virus scanner eating up resources to slow down my system.

Spoken from someone who obviously hasn't run a modern system with Avira/NOD32 installed. I don't even know mine is running. Pathetic excuse.

Now he got access to Win7 last week and basically he just went DAMB! going on how it sits there using little over 400meg (as opose to vista and 1gig NOT counting the caching), how it is fast (not just feels fast, but actually does things faster).

Funny, i put vista buisness on a rig with 512 of ram and it used just over uver 300MB of ram, vista uses the ram the system has, sure your friend probably had Ultimate edition installed which adds tothe foot print ALOT

Seriously, with Vista you could probably go fine without a virus scanner.
I did for like 6 months until I decided to shell out for NOD32 and I notice exactly 0 difference. I do hate Vista's start up time though, Ubuntu and 7 boot way faster for me.
I've never gotten a virus for Vista, EVER.
I prefer Ubuntu for regular stuff though (browsing, IM, etc) and I've been looking into trying openSUSE v11.1 (I believe) because it's looking pretty neat.

I already did a while ago...
windows7.screen.shot.png

For your sake, I hope you didn't take that picture. Otherwise you'd be screaming your ignorance to the world.

I know what I like...
"That is nice."
Do you know what you like?
"That is wonderful!"

Have you tried to least have 5 McDonald meals, 5 Wendy's meals, and 5 Burger King meals?
NO? Why not? How do you know what is better? Try it all. Figure out which burger gives you less gas, burger with tons of calories for heavy lifting day, and burger to watch your waist line when you go out on a date. Comparing Whopper Junior with Whopper doesn't count.
That way, you know when to save money for your companies. It is a good idea to know it all.

Damn... Maybe, Google OS will take over and we will run everything off the web with a 20mb OS. However, GoogleOS is still a slim down Linux. Doesn't matter.... Round 666. FIGHTS are still ON!

For your sake, I hope you didn't take that picture. Otherwise you'd be screaming your ignorance to the world.

It is a screenshot. All OSes support it. You should try it. If I can draw that good or take a clear picture off the monitor like that. You must be a freaking artists if you draw your Desktop screenshots. Do you have some of your art work on the net?

It is a screenshot. All OSes supports it. You should try it. If I can draw that good or take a clear picture off the monitor like that.

No shit it's a screnshot. Where did I say it wasn't? I was talking about your little notes. And that you're running it in VM.

I don't know what kind of benchmarks or test you performed but OSX blows away Vista on my hackintosh or MBP.
Care to explain how the CS3 applications open much MUCH faster on a Core 2 Duo system running Vista SP1 than on an OSX system with dual Quad Core Xeons? How about the actual applications, once they are open, are so much more responsive on the Vista system as well? Even my Mac-lovin' graphic designer concedes that it is much more responsive on a system that was a literal fraction of the cost.

As for the comment about malware on the Mac, you should read up on some current tech news, as TechieSooner alluded to.

No shit it's a screnshot. Where did I say it wasn't? I was talking about your little notes. And that you're running it in VM.

Read the entire post. Jesus, where are all these idiot users came from. No wonder, MS can't get it right. They have to cater to idiots.

Because they all will have the same vendor drivers. It isn't just the same hardware matters and maturity of the driver makes a difference during the boot and shutdown time. Don't you even know how VM works? Do you think I was bench testing a graphic acceleration? I'm not a gamer. Don't give a crap if the certain OS runs games better. I rather go out on a date than play games all night. Jesus

I wasn't comparing fresh XP Install with VM Windows 7. I was comparing everything under the same VM SERVER.

Do you think that's the only performance area that drops off in a VM?

NO man! Do you actually think I was comparing VM with a bare to metal install? You are telling drivers don't affect the system boot and shutdown time? Should I judge a beta OS that uses predecessor's drivers? Also, I hope you know VMs can have their own drives and cores.

You are telling drivers don't affect the system boot and shutdown time? Should I judge a beta OS that uses predecessor's drivers?
I'm not telling you anything. I asked a simple question. if I was you, I'd drop the pissant attitude and slow down to read the names of who you are responding to, so you can keep them straight. You've dropped down to making some personal attacks, and that isn't going to help anyone's cause at this point.

Seriously, with Vista you could probably go fine without a virus scanner.
I did for like 6 months until I decided to shell out for NOD32 and I notice exactly 0 difference. I do hate Vista's start up time though, Ubuntu and 7 boot way faster for me.
I've never gotten a virus for Vista, EVER.
I'd agree, while Vista is very secure... I'd still never consider running without AV though. If anything at all just to protect the user-level space.

No kidding. Some users are running benchmarks in VM. :rolleyes:
LMAO. Quote of the day.

I'm not telling you anything. I asked a simple question. if I was you, I'd drop the pissant attitude and slow down to read the names of who you are responding to, so you can keep them straight. You've dropped down to making some personal attacks, and that isn't going to help anyone's cause at this point.

Listen, I didn't know this forum was a Windows PC gaming forum. Few months ago, it felt like a hardcore PC user forum. It seems like majority people are gamers. If the OS functionality isn't cater to games, it probably sucks to many people here. Also, I didn't know so many Windows users don't like reasoning. If MS wipes someone's entire drive, it is never MS's fault. It is just a bad luck. I never seen more OS bias people. Hey, I deal with Windows everyday. I know where the strength and weakness lies. Because, Windows is the first OS for many people, doesn't mean it is the best. If the 1st is the best for everything, we all probably be married to our first girlfriends. It is insane how many people don't bother to do their own research and follow the flock of recommendations like your generic frat boys. That is all. That is what I'm starting to observe. Every time, someone brings up something wrong with Windows, people act like I just spit at their mothers.

Too bad I can't read what Techiesooner said... All for the better.

Listen, I didn't know this forum was a Windows PC gaming forum.
It isn't, and I have no idea where you'd get that, or especially why'd you'd bring it up in response to my comments. I don't game on my PC anymore, aside from a handful of hours per month, if I'm lucky.

What I can tell you is that I do possess the experties to decide what is the best OS for myself and my uses, and that would be Vista. There's absolutely nothing wrong with using Windows and defending it. Linux and OSX have their faults, and are hardly the best OS for everyone, even power users. I can also tell you that, some people take the stance I do, that they will defend any point for the sake of keeping the information on here factual and correct. If something is posted that is incorrect, FUD-filled, or just plain assinine, you best believe it will be met with resistence. This IS a power-users forum, and many of those power users prefer Windows and Vista....like it or not. You apparently don't see the entire picture either, because you are under the impression that there are only MS fanboys. There are an equal or greater number of people who hate MS for the simple reason that it is "cool" to do so. 'round here, we defend factual information, so my suggestion, again, would be to drop the attitude, realize a differing opinion isn't automatically wrong, and deal with it.

It isn't, and I have no idea where you'd get that, or especially why'd you'd bring it up in response to my comments. I don't game on my PC anymore, aside from a handful of hours per month, if I'm lucky.

What I can tell you is that I do possess the experties to decide what is the best OS for myself and my uses, and that would be Vista. There's absolutely nothing wrong with using Windows and defending it. Linux and OSX have their faults, and are hardly the best OS for everyone, even power users. I can also tell you that, some people take the stance I do, that they will defend any point for the sake of keeping the information on here factual and correct. If something is posted that is incorrect, FUD-filled, or just plain assinine, you best believe it will be met with resistence. This IS a power-users forum, and many of those power users prefer Windows and Vista....like it or not. You apparently don't see the entire picture either, because you are under the impression that there are only MS fanboys. There are an equal or greater number of people who hate MS for the simple reason that it is "cool" to do so. 'round here, we defend factual information, so my suggestion, again, would be to drop the attitude, realize a differing opinion isn't automatically wrong, and deal with it.

Your points are well taken. I also liked your reasoning. This is kind of debate I prefer.

I love a good ol' fashioned debate....but you have to admit you were dishing out some words and insults. Let's keep it civil, and stick to the subject at hand.

I love a good ol' fashioned debate....but you have to admit you were dishing out some words and insults. Let's keep it civil, and stick to the subject at hand.

You are right. I was just frustrated by Vista rocket launchers everyone was throwing at me.

Im really holding off on build 7k of x64, but form what I have tried at work on my Dell 370 Pentium 4 HT 3.0Ghz, 4gb ram (3.25gb really) 7900GS..

Its fast, damm fast, worlds faster that Vista x64 I had on it and maybe slightly faster than XP SP3 on the same machine.

I'm most impressed with how fast it is on my aging work computer.

I also like the library, nice for multi drive users..

I'm currently on Win7 build 7000 as I type and I'm more than impressed at the functionality so far. Some areas will take a bit of getting used to, but it's mostly akin to Vista. One interesting new feature I like so far is a cheapo calibration on the monitor, followed by fine tuning the way text is rendered on the LCD.

Before I go on to install other things, I think Steve Ballmer's quote describes my initial impressions best: "It's like Vista but better" :D!

running windows 7 build 7000 x86 for 24hrs now and I am very impressed. I was one of the Vista converts (hated it then couldn't be without it) and this is even better. I realize these are empty words to many of you Vista haters but Vista 2.0 is music to my ears.

It's really fast and had only 30ish processes running before I started adding stuff, the new task bar is sweet (I can finally ditch ObjectDock and their crappy x64 support), and start search is the shit (enough reason alone to get Vista imo). Even CRT refresh rates work correctly.

My beefs: Forceware 185.20 didn't create 1440x900 resolution for my FW900 and I can't create it (mode failed or some shit). CS:S won't start in dual monitor mode, I have to disable the lcd before I play, but TF2 works fine. If gonna try to revert back to an earlier driver that adds that display mode to the registry and then install the 185.20s, unless someone can tell me how I can manually add it to the registry.
Media sharing with 360 doesn't work right, I can see my shared folders on the xbox but every one says no files. Adding folders to the WMP library was kind of confusing too. Using Tversity for now but losing SSDP Discovery and UPnP support with it is very annoying, I thought I was done forwarding ports.

If they can fix these 3 things I will buy this the day it comes out.

Judging from all the rave reviews at such an early stage one can just wonder how much better it can get from now until rtm. I've been using msdnaa licenses for xp and vista but this will be the first OS I'll be shelling out cash for on launch.

Judging from all the rave reviews at such an early stage one can just wonder how much better it can get from now until rtm. I've been using msdnaa licenses for xp and vista but this will be the first OS I'll be shelling out cash for on launch.

Well, its can get slower as they add more to it.. :(

Something tells me at RTM I am going to be missing build 7k B1

Looks promising! I'm excited to see how well the release version performs.

Back