• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Windows 7 start menu

Maybe I like staring at my start menu. :p

As I said, its more a personalization thing for me. I don't need 20 buttons and a huge menu when most of the time I only use four.

Sure, the classic all programs menu takes up more space, but unlike the new one I don't have to scroll down lists of shortcuts since it expands outward. I can see them all at once.

I have no problem with what you're saying Death, but when Ceruleun's statement doesn't hold up to scrutiny, unless you have a very shallow tree in programs, which would probably mean either very few programs or a ton of program groups.
I always opt for lots of grouping, because less grouping makes it a PITA to find programs that I don't use much....which is why I really wish we had vista at work...then i could use search to find them....I'd actually use that feature more at work than I do at home, because I use most of the programs I installed....at work, some may go unused for a year...then I'm struggling to figure out where the hell it is...or if it's installed at all :eek:

My other problem was resolution...how the hell would run Vista on a 1024x768 screen. The last time I ran at that resolution, I had a 14" CRT. IOW 1997!! On a 16x10 or 19x12, size is not an obstacle (regardless of which of the 3 start menus you choose). I guess it'd kinda matter on a laptop, but I think I'd prefer vista stlye even more if I had to use one of those god awful touch pads.
 
I thought it was pretty self explanatory.

You said you hated the new taskbar but you didn't say why so I don't see how your statement was self explanatory. If you just don't like it without any objective reasons that's fine I was just curious.
 
No, you have me confused with someone else apparently. I never said that.

Edit: I see where you might have thought that. GN85 was just saying that if someone had 100 apps scrolling the start menu would be a pain, not referring to me.

I don't htink that's really an issue, so long asyou manage your menu. to have a shot at anyh efficiency on the XP or 95 menus, you have to regroup programs and embed some program groups inside of broader categories (at least that's what I have to do).

If you're going to use the vista Menu, you have to do the same thing. I put all editors (including Word) under Editors. I put all items associated with music/video under Media and then break it out under there.

But the reality is the best way to find things is by typing...it's just a matter of breaking the click habit (and I'm there yet). One nice thing in the vista Menu is if you have a grouping that has a single subfolder (some installers do that), it automatically opens the next folder and saves you a click. FYI, I never noticed that till this thread. I'm actually learning stuff just because I was forced to go back and study exactly what happens under each menu.

Really, what's so bad about liking a different menu layout? :confused:

This is your final warning. Conform or be cast out. Resistance is futile.;)

I guess I've just always felt that the new start menu was for people who covered their desktop in icons and never bother to organize their start menu. I have no need for start search and I like the way the classic menu looks. Sue me. :p

Hm. I like where this is going. You get to use the Classic menu and I get to collect money for your non-conformance.

Early retirement really sounds nice :D
 
Who actually clicks the Start Button? That's what the Windows key is for... geez. :D Much more efficient, even if you've got one hand on the keyboard and one on the mouse, it just doesn't get any simpler in terms of ergonomics and speed.

If the Start Menu - when it appeared - was nothing but the text box people would still bitch, whine, and complain, so whatevarrrr...

YMMV, as always.

I'm as certain most people click the start button as I am that most XP users use the XP menu and the butt ugly default theme.

That may change, but even when i watch developers who live in Unix, they click on the button.
 
Oh snapzola I love these threads:):D



It is simply like driving a mercades and then going back to a Geo metro. Why would you do that.
 
You said you hated the new taskbar but you didn't say why so I don't see how your statement was self explanatory. If you just don't like it without any objective reasons that's fine I was just curious.

No, it means I don't like ANYTHING ABOUT IT. I don't like the layout, I don't like the way it handles windows, groupings, EVERYTHING.

Not that difficult to grasp.

I do not prefer the new taskbar as it does not functional the way I would like it.
 
Oh snapzola I love these threads:):D



It is simply like driving a mercades and then going back to a Geo metro. Why would you do that.

I do too, people think their smart by posting retarded automotive comparisons, and can't even spell the cars correctly either.
 
I do too, people think their smart by posting retarded automotive comparisons, and can't even spell the cars correctly either.

I love comments that criticize a poster's spelling with an incomplete sentence improper punctuation and the use of their when they meant they're (or they are).

I look forward to criticism of my color coded criticism as well as other posts that have nothing to do with Windows 7 :rolleyes:
 
No, it means I don't like ANYTHING ABOUT IT. I don't like the layout, I don't like the way it handles windows, groupings, EVERYTHING.

Not that difficult to grasp.

I do not prefer the new taskbar as it does not functional the way I would like it.

If you can only say that you hate it then its pretty impossible for anyone to use your feedback in a constructive manner. Saying that you hate it may be self explanatory but it does little to give someone information that could be used to make it more to your liking.

That said, I think people are making are making a lot more out the task bar redesign than is there. I don't know if you've played with the task bar properties, but you don't have to group anything. In fact if you don't group your task bar icons (I do so I like it) and you unpin items from the task bar, the task bar itself doesn't behave that differently at that point than prior to 7.

The big difference then is the loss of the Windows menu control options on the task bar icons themselves, Restore, Maximize and so forth. However the jump lists and ability to launch another instance of the application are probably more useful for most people. I never use the the Windows menu controls and my guess is that most people don't.

One thing that I think is the nice is the ability to arrange items on the task bar now, though it can only be done by groups of similar icons.

So just some thoughts and things for you to look at that might at least mitigate some of the hate.
 
Back
Top