Windows 7 S3 Sleep Harddrive Slow on Wake

Khadgar

Weaksauce
I have 2 harddrives in my Windows 7 RTM PC - a Seagate 500gb 7200.10 SATA (I think) as my c: drive and a Seagate 1.5tb 7200.11 SATA as my media drive d:. When waking from system S3 sleep I can immediately access my c drive and all its files. I cannot, however, access my media drive for 2-3 minutes after wake. After that time passes, response is snappy once again. I have no such issues when I reboot.

Sometimes on wake - I'd say once out of every 2 dozen, my media drive disappears completely.

I contacted Seagate technical support and they had me increase the "Delay for HDD (Secs)" from 0 to 10 or something. This had no impact on wake from sleep, only on fresh boot.

I've swapped countless power/SATA cables and have even swapped out my media drive for another and had the same problem.

I've disable hybrid sleep and hibernation all together.

Any ideas?

My system:
  • DFI Lanparty Ultra-D nForce4
  • Opteron 165 @ 2.7ghz
  • 4gb RAM
  • Windows 7 RTM x64
  • 7200.10 500gb SATA as c
  • 7200.11 1.5tb SATA as d

Have you always had your OC at 2.7 or just recently bumped it up? I've just gone through hell with my Shuttle once I OC'd from 2.5 to 2.7. Just a weird coincidence that my PSU started acting up and before that my 7200.11 Seagate started doing weird spin up spin down shenanigans. I have same chipset as you. Try 2.5 with HT @ x4. I know your situation's not the same and it sounds more like a software issue.. but just worth a try to narrow things down.

Yeah, I've been at 2.7 for 2 or more years now. I never tried using sleep until I installed Windows 7 so it's hard to know for sure if it's a software thing or what.

It just seems weird to me that it's only the non-Windows drive that has the problem. You'd think that if it were a driver or software that they'd both have the same problem.

Hmm, have you got a XP partition or Vista partition you can boot into?

If it makes you feel any better i have close to teh same HDD'S(check sig) and my system needs to have teh powersupply shut off just to get out of sleep, and tehn it just slowly resumes function after getting out of sleep

No, I do not have an XP or Vista partition anymore.

TeeJay88, I guess that makes me feel slightly better, but at the same time I feel bad for both of us :)

I'm getting to the point where I'm tempted to just remove my media drive, put it into my WHS, and stream everything from there. I would, however, prefer to get this drive working in my current PC.

I'd be very surprised if Windows 7 S3 Sleep would ever work on a 2004ish mainboard. :D

I'd be very surprised if Windows 7 S3 Sleep would ever work on a 2004ish mainboard. :D

Yeah, but I feel like I'm so close to getting there. The computer may be old but works just fine for my htpc.

Back