Windows 7 Remote Desktop Fail

r45k

Weaksauce
I've posted about this before, but I'll try again. This time with more detail.

I have remote desktop set up on my desktop, server, and laptop. All work 99.9999% of the time... that is until I have a heavy CPU intensive task running. I have no anti-virus running, and windows defender and firewall are turned off. This issue has happened to me over three installations with varying hardware and with various CPU intensive tasks, but I'll included my specs anyway:

Relevent PC specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.0GHz
6GB DDR3-1600 RAM (Corrsair)
ASUS Rampage II Extreme (up to date BIOS)
WD Velociraptor 300GB

note: the cpu intensive tasks do not require network access

Upon connection I'm able to select the User, but once the session attempts to start it either freezes on the windows login or the screen goes black and the RDP session times out.

I've found out that after the first time this happens I am locked out of my computer locally and over RDP (meaning that I can't log back in even when I'm sitting at my desk).

This issue seems to be independent of the computer accessing remote desktop. It will happen over another Win 7 RDP client, and in Win XP.

I've attempted to and successfully remotely terminate and restart the RDP service as well as terminate the CPU intensive task, but the issue remains the same. If I view the task list over the network, every process seems to run fine. No memory leaks or anything else suspicious.

I've also found out that most non-windows ports seem to be blocked and not working. If I attempt to access them I time out.

Now, I know that Microsoft has some awesome RD revamps coming in SP1, but I have not seen any help support forums about this problem so I can only assume the problem won't be addressed.

***And again, this only happens if I'm running any CPU intensive task.

Last edited:
I have found issues like this to be resolved by updating or changing video drivers on the host computer-- sometimes even checking the client (computer you are connecting from).

So make sure you have up to date drivers on both ends and see if that helps.

Obvious first step: Restore everything to stock speeds and see if the problem persists.

The problem has been across multiple installations --- don't think stock speeds are relevant.

They're always relevant, particularly when (as now) no one can seem to reproduce your issue.

Back