Windows 7 Remote Desktop Authentication Error

402blownstroker

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - Nov. 2012
I have a windows 7 pro client running in a ESXi 5.5 server. I have remote connections setup/allowed on it. Firewall settings and services are up and running.

I have a linux machine trying to connect to it with rdesktop. The linux machine can connect to the windows 7 box and I can get to the login. When I enter the user password, it just says

The username or password is incorrect.

When I connect to the console in the ESXi client, I can login fine with the same user and password.

Anyone know what might be going on here?

I have a windows 7 pro client running in a ESXi 5.5 server. I have remote connections setup/allowed on it. Firewall settings and services are up and running.

I have a linux machine trying to connect to it with rdesktop. The linux machine can connect to the windows 7 box and I can get to the login. When I enter the user password, it just says

When I connect to the console in the ESXi client, I can login fine with the same user and password.

Anyone know what might be going on here?
I could have sworn there was an authentication security level issue with rdesktop & newer Windows targets. I'll search a bit to see if I can jog my memory on the specifics, but in the mean time, try giving Remmina or FreeRDP a go. I'm fairly sure FreeRDP got me going.

I think alternatively you could try to lower the security type of settings on the Windows side, but who wants to do that?

Edit: Ok. I believe that it's the Network Level Authentication support that I'm thinking of that's lacking in rdesktop. If that's the case, you should be able to toggle it off in the remote desktop settings. Alternatively go with FreeRDP or Remmina. (that's what I would try next)
Screen Shot 2017-07-09 at 4.20.23 PM.png

Last edited:
Man, I really hate windows. The windows machine only had a single account that had admin rights. I ended up creating a second standard account and gave it remote access. That worked. As soon as I give the standard account admin rights, remote desktop stops working.

If it's on a domain, put username in format: Domain\Username

If it's not, use format: .\Administrator

Also, you might need to shut off NLA, but that usually generates a very specific error stating you need it disabled.

Back