Windows 7 Registry edits won't stick

apim

Weaksauce
I changed HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\ExtendedUIHoverTime to 1000000 and it works for a random amount of time (usually 5-30 minutes) and then resets itself. I've created a bat file that'll change it back to 1000000, but I'm tired of clicking on that all of the time. I've tried changing the permissions to that key so it deny's full control to all of the users listed in the box, but that doesn't seem to make a difference either. Anybody have any idea on what I can do to make my changes stick? Thanks in advance for any help.

1m milli seconds is 16minutes, are you sure something else is not changing it back in that time? Another program you run that changes that perhaps? That entry does not exists by default so something had to add it in the first place. Identify that first.

I created it. I originally set it to 9999999999999999999 and then it forced me to lower it to 4294967295. Once I noticed it wasn't sticking with that number, that's when I tried to lower it to 1m but unfortunately that wasn't the issue either.

try a lower number.
it's possible 1000000 is still outside the available range, and so Windows reverts it back because it's not a possible value.

are you on a domain? seems like an odd reg key to edit via group policy but its possible

4294967295 is the max possible value for a dword which is the datatype value of that key, intentionally trying to overflow variables is a bad idea. Is this your own personal comp, or is this something from school or work? If its the latter they could easily have Ghost or a similar app running that is rolling back changes.

I'm sorry guys. I made a big mistake when attempting to explain the problem.

The dword doesn't change the value back to 5000 or whatever the default is. The dword stays at whatever number I set it to. However, the pop-ups, that the dword was created to disable, pop back up. At the point that the pop-ups start popping up again, the only way to get rid of them again is to go back into the registry, open the dword and then select OK or run the batch file that automatically sets the dword value again. It's like the OS is forgetting that I created that dword and goes back to wherever it was originally pulling the value from and then once I open the dword and select OK again or run my batch file, it'll work again until the OS forgets again.

j-sta: I've tried running 20000 as the number and I still have the problem.
k1pp3r: Yes, I'm on a domain. Would a valid test be to test it without the ethernet cable plugged in? (Please note, I had no issues with this on my old computer that was running on this domain for over a year).
rand4505: It's a work computer. I built the computer & installed all of the software on the machine. The only software I installed that was provided by my employer is Sophos Anitvirus (which was also installed on my old PC that didn't have this issue with ExtendedUIHoverTime

Back