Windows 7 RC1 Confirmed Build 7048

Uh, if RC hits by the end of February, we'll be picking this product up off the shelf in November, easily.

Uh, if RC hits by the end of February, we'll be picking this product up off the shelf in November, easily.

It will release much sooner than that. If an RC starts floating around next month I would expect no later than a June RTM date to get it out in time for back to school as that may be the key period for computers this year as many states have tax holidays in the summer for things like computers and given the state of the economy Christmas is likely to be a downer.

I know this is a broad question, but what would be new to a regular user using build 7048 over the Beta?

Well, a lot, actually. Performance will be improved rather dramatically (that is going on the past history of how performance gets better as debug code is pulled out and it's tightened up for speed and efficiency), some aspects of the Taskbar have changed, some icons have changed, a lot of small things that most people that aren't actually beta testing the software would never notice.

If you're asking that question in the first place I have to wonder...

It'll be better, that's all that matters. :D

I know this is a broad question, but what would be new to a regular user using build 7048 over the Beta?

I've got one machine (tx2z tablet pc, pretty poweful) with the public beta, build 7000 x64 and two machines (Eee PC 1000H netbook, no power house and a Toshiba R25 tablet pc) with build 7022 x86 and while I'm comparing x86 and x64 the 7022 build just seems a bit faster and the tx2z is the most powerful of the bunch. I've noticed a few things that I noticed on the tablets that seems fixed and the IE 8 RC1 broswer is more solid, fewer crashes, faster and more fluid.

I attempted to install Win 7 on two different laptops on a clean HD and I got memory errors each time. Well, actually, the 2nd one seemed to install fine, and when I finally get it going to my liking, BAM - memory error.

An update from the link:
ars said:
Update
I have confirmed with a Microsoft employee that build 7048 does not yet exist, and that development on the RC branch has not yet started. Speculation on a new build keeps mounting as testers still have not received anything beyond build 7000. The latest build was compiled yesterday and is actually 7046. The original story is below.

Looks like a bad rumor, nothing confirmed. :p

Well, a lot, actually. Performance will be improved rather dramatically (that is going on the past history of how performance gets better as debug code is pulled out and it's tightened up for speed and efficiency), some aspects of the Taskbar have changed, some icons have changed, a lot of small things that most people that aren't actually beta testing the software would never notice.

If you're asking that question in the first place I have to wonder...

It'll be better, that's all that matters. :D

LOL no. Trust me, MS probably blocked me from sending anymore feedback.

I installed it for my sister (she wanted the "pretty" interface) and yes, I did let her know to send feedback on that as well.

Back