Windows 7 RC --cannot connect to XP shared printer

LoneWolf

2[H]4U
Hi all,

I'm running Windows 7 RC (x64) on my ThinkPad T61. On my home network, I have a Laserjet 6P shared from my wife's computer (running XP Pro). Both machines share the same workgroup name, and it's no problem printing from other XP machines.

The problem is trying to connect to the printer via Windows 7. I can see the printer from Windows 7, but when I try to connect to it, Windows tells me no driver is available. I've tried running a manual driver install with LPT1 as a temporary option, but the Laserjet 4/5/6 families aren't in the Win7 driver libraries. HP doesn't have a downloadable Vista driver, since it's bundled with Vista. I've tried using HP's 64-bit Universal PCL5 driver, but I can't get the driver to connect to the printer, though I've supplied the correct UNC pathname to the share.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Right now, this is one of my few frustrations with an operating system that's otherwise running great. Thanks for any info you guys can provide.

Interesting. I have it working in a similar environment as you, win7 x64 to an xp machine. On the win7 machine, did you browse the network to the xp machine, then right click on the printer and connect?

Interesting. I have it working in a similar environment as you, win7 x64 to an xp machine. On the win7 machine, did you browse the network to the xp machine, then right click on the printer and connect?
Yep. That part works fine.

I can type in the Search box off the start menu: "\\machine-name\", hit Enter, and I get the printer. If I right-click on it and click Connect, I get the following:

"No Driver Found. Windows can't find a driver for HP Laserjet 6P on the network. To locate one manually, click OK. Otherwise, click Cancel and consult your network administrator or the printer manufacturer's website."

If I click OK, I'm asked to browse for a driver (I have none). I tried browsing to the extracted folder for the HP PCL5 Universal driver, but Windows rejects it as unsuitable. I also tried checking the box for "Windows XP 64-bit) under "Additional Drivers" in the share properties on my wife's computer, but it asks me to supply them, and I've been unable to find them.

Windows 7 does list the Laserjet 2300 as a supported printer; if I knew where Windows 7 kept its own driver libraries, I might be able to try this (as it's the closest).

Figured it out, with some help from another forum. Clunky way to do it, but once done, it works the way it should

First, add a local printer. When given the option for the driver, choose the Windows Update button. There are a LOT of drivers for older printers on Windows Update not listed in the Win7 RC1 install. Choose the correct one and create the local printer.

Then go back, and connect to the shared printer. Win7 will now find the driver, and install the printer. Once done, you can delete the local printer.

Looks like Microsoft needs to add Windows Update as an option for network and shared printers, not just for the locals.

I have a Laserjet 4M Plus that I've had for more than 10 years now. I went to load the driver for it on my laptop running Windows 7. I found the driver via Windows Update and its also in the Windows 7 Driver Pack available on Microsoft TechNet.

I have a Laserjet 4M Plus that I've had for more than 10 years now. I went to load the driver for it on my laptop running Windows 7. I found the driver via Windows Update and its also in the Windows 7 Driver Pack available on Microsoft TechNet.
Yeah, it only seems to be an issue when you're not adding a local printer. At that point, I got prompted for the driver files if they're not already installed, without an option for Windows Update. If I'd had that option there, it would have been smoother.

Going to go hunt down that driver pack, though. Thanks.

EDIT: Btw, this Laserjet is one I pulled out of a university dumpster after their guys must have given up. Took me 40 minutes to disassemble the front and remove the paper jam, but it's now been working great for three years. I also have a Laserjet 5M I got with 11,000 pages on it from their surplus store for $35. It's in the basement, so I don't use it as often, and I don't have the upstairs wired (wifi only) so the 6P gets more use (and I was given a ton of toner cartridges by someone else, so we're good for another five years).

Last edited:
Thanks alot lonewolf was pulling my hair out trying to do the same exact thing as you and same printer also. And you have shown me the light thanks man appreciate it.

I just bought an HP 4M Plus printer and after hours of trying have been unable to install the printer on my Windows 7 or Vista computer. The driver simply doesn't show up in the list, and I tried the update button. Could anyone give me an idea of what to do?

Thanks so much :)

I had the same poroblem. You have to install another shared printer with postscript driver on XP machine, then install it on Windows 7 machine.

What I find is that pretty much the easiest way is to just find the driver online, install it and THEN add the printer.

Back