Windows 7 Professional & Server 2003 Incompatibility?

zero002021

[H]ard|Gawd
At work, we have a server running Windows Server 2003 and are experiencing a problem with PC's running Windows 7 Professional.

When the Windows 7 machines come out of Sleep mode, or after being on and left alone for an extended period of time, they are no longer able to connect to the server, but are still connected to the network and are able to go online. If the computer running Windows 7 is restarted, it is then able to connect to the server again.

Does anyone know what might be causing this to happen? Are there incompatibility issues between Windows Server 2003 and Windows 7? I've spent a lot of time searching for solutions to the problem, but haven't been able to find anything.

Hmm not sure why you are having problems but I'm not having issues with any of my clients talking to my 2k3 server.

are they left logged in? or at the logon screen?
try just logging off and back on?

domain? workgroup?

sleep mode YUK! i never use sleep mode, either turn off computer OR leave it on.

I have never liked it, it never works good never comes back how it should.

Just my $0.02 tho

Can you ping the server? Can you browse its shares? Is it hosting an application? Can you ping but not connect? More info please.

hmmm..I seem to recall having issues with my windows 7 pro machine coming back from sleep mode. It was having issues connecting to the net, after waking up. This was like 2 years ago though(win 7 beta). I think i stopped doing the sleep mode, and it solved it.

yeah, like the other posters said. sleep mode is the worst.

Have you updated windows on both the server and the client PC? Have you tried updating your drivers on server and a client just to see if that helps?

We have about 12 people here on Windows 7 pro connecting to a W2k3 box and no issues at all.

As others have said get rid of sleep mode, it never works like it should.

sleep mode YUK! i never use sleep mode, either turn off computer OR leave it on.

I have never liked it, it never works good never comes back how it should.

Just my $0.02 tho

yeah, like the other posters said. sleep mode is the worst.

As others have said get rid of sleep mode, it never works like it should.

+4, more problems than it's worth... even hibernation is better

also, when i finally reinstalled windows 7 with the full version of 7 (no more beta), i let windows 7 install an updated driver for my nic on my motherboard. (specs of gigabyte motherboard in sig), and that royally fucked up my internet. I had to uninstall that new driver, and tell windows update to hide that update. Since then, my nic's have been rock solid. Just a thought.

could also be power savings on the NICs, "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in the NIC properties.

Back