Windows 7 Professional Pre-Installation Trouble

jon61

n00b
I am currently running a 32-bit Vista Home Premium os and am trying to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional 64-bit os (that I bought online through a offer for students, I also bought the CD copy of it as a back up). I have 2 GB of RAM, 64-bit processor, and 320 GB hard drive.

Before I bought Windows 7, I used Windows & Upgrade Advisor to see if I could run it and my results were good, online a few things like my printer were said to need an update after installation. I also went to my Performance Information and Tools and looked at the System info and it said that my system was 64-bit capable.

After I paid for Windows 7 I was given the option of 2 different downloads, one was .ISO and the other .EXE. I first tried the .ISO and all i was given after downloading it was this program (whose icon was 3 different colored books) that had took all my programs/files and offered to sell me their file transfering program.

Then I tried the .EXE download. After it had finished I clicked on Run, which unloaded the box. After the box was unloaded I received this error message saying "We are unable to create or save new files in the folder properties to make sure that you have security permission on the folder to write files and that the folder is not read-only.

This download placed 2 icons onto my desktop: 1) Win7-P-Retail-en-us-x64 ; 2) expandedSetup

I then opened the expandedSetup folder on my desktop and clicked on an application labeled setup, only to receive an error message saying "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check you computer's system informatino to see wheter you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make it work?

You have to use the ISO file in order to install a 64bit OS on top of the 32bit OS. The .exe only works going from 64 > 64.

OK first off you can't do an upgrade install when going from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS, you have to do a clean install. Second if you Google that "We are unable to create or save new files in the folder" error I think you will find that is a common error with that digital download. If you look though some of the links you should find the solution to get it to work.

I read on a website that I should burn the expanded setup folder (which came from the .EXE download) to a dvd and then restart my computer and that it would boot this way and start the installation, but when I try to do this it tells me that it can not boot.

When I tried the .ISO download, i got this thing called X15-65805 (icon is three different colored books). When i open this it tells me " please note that WinRAR is shareware. After a 40 day trial period you must either register it or remove it from your computer." I close this box and inside this WinRAR window is all the stuff off my desktop.

Any ideas?

Burn that iso file with something like ImgBurn instead of opening it with WinRAR.

Downloading the ISO file only gives me X15-65805 and no other file. I used ImgBurn on the EXE file that I downloaded and got the cannot read code 5 error.

X15-65805 is probably a self extracting rar file. It's a compressed file to save bandwidth during download. If you run it should extract the ISO. Then you burn the ISO image to a disk. You want to use the burn from disk image file option and not just burn the file to a disk. If you do it correctly the DVD will have files and folders on it and not just the one ISO file. And don't extract the ISO file into a folder and then burn the contents to a disk, if you do that it won't be boot-able.

When i double click on the WinRAR file it is opened and tells me it is a shareware trial (i close this dialog box) and inside this WInRAR is a folder labeled ".." and a README.TXT , i open the read me and it says "This disc contains a "UDF" file system and requires an operating system that supports the ISO-13346 "UDF" file system specification."

What do i do? i dont see an ISO file, please help.

Universal Disk Format (UDF) is a format specification of a file system for storing files on optical media. What is the extension for the file in question? To be honest I don't know what you have got there. It sounds like its more trouble than its worth. It was obviously somebodies bright idea to do it this way. I think that person needs to be kicked right where it hurts, it you know what i mean. ;)

The one i downloaded from microsoft was .ISO and the only file i got was .TXT
Now I found on google that the winrar can be unzipped using izarc, and i did that and got 2 things README and boot.images
I will now try and burn this stuff to a DVD and maybe something works.
If you have any ideas, tell me. I will post what happens.

Sounds to me like you have an incomplete download?

It really shouldn't be that difficult. You download the .ISO. You only extract the file if it does not end w/ a .iso or .image extension. Then burn the .iso to disk, using your tool of choice, mine is cdburnerxp. Then boot from the disk and install.

For anyone wondering or having the same problem as i was having, I have found a solution.

The ISO file that is downloaded off the microsoft website gives you a file called X15-65805 (a WinRAR file). Inside you have a README.TXT and a ".." file that contains your desktop files for some reason i dont know why.

Anyways, next you download Windows 7 USB/DVD Download (
http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool ). Use this thing to put the X15-65805 file onto a DVD or a USB flashdrive. I did the DVD (im guessing the USB should work the same way) and you use the program to browse for your file (X15-65805), follow their instructions and you will create the DVD.

Leave the DVD in your drive and restart your computer, it will tell you to press any key and you do that, and amazingly the installation start. If you are going from a 32 bit system to a 64-bit system of windows 7 you must do Custom installation. Follow the instructions and everything should work perfectly. This site shows you if you can upgrade or if you have to do custom installation:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-vista-to-windows-7

Good luck and thanks to all that helped me.

Sounds like you have extensions turned off (hence all the confusion), because I can almost guarantee that it's not a WinRAR file (but you happened to associate WinRAR with it). The ".." folder just indicates the parent directory.

Sounds like you have extensions turned off (hence all the confusion), because I can almost guarantee that it's not a WinRAR file (but you happened to associate WinRAR with it). The ".." folder just indicates the parent directory.

this

WinRAR by DEFAULT associates itself with ISO files, hence the file is given a WinRAR icon.
And because it's UDF format, you will not see all the contents of the ISO file.

I downloaded the Win7 ISOs via Technet and see the same thing; burn that ISO file to DVD and you're golden.

Back