Windows 7 Professional broken initial setup/install

hardc0re

Gawd
Hi,

I have a brand new laptop which was running windows 7 first time setup and the power turned off during the setup/install before windows desktop showed.

Now after windows boots i get a blue screen of death and the computer reboots. The computer didnt come with a restore DVD or anything.

I had a Windows 7 Home Professional DVD and tried the "repair bootup" feature and it's been running for over 30 minutes...

Is there anything else to try?

if this is a brand new laptop it will have a restore partition, what make and model is the laptop?
for the model hold these keys during boot:
hp: f11
asus: ctrl + f11
dell, gateway, acer, emachine, toshiba: f8 to get to bootscreen, goto "repair windows". choose built in recovery partition.

if that fails call the manufacturer and tell them your issue. They might have you run some test or just send you recovery discs.

Or, download a clean ISO (know anyone with a Technet account?) and use the COA that came with the laptop to install Win 7 from scratch. Ideal really, since you don't get a bunch of bloatware crap you'd get with the manufacturer's "clean" install.

Or, download a clean ISO (know anyone with a Technet account?) and use the COA that came with the laptop to install Win 7 from scratch. Ideal really, since you don't get a bunch of bloatware crap you'd get with the manufacturer's "clean" install.
i was under the impression that you cant install a retail windows 7 disc using an OEM key, am I wrong?

Not certain. I thought so. Thought they removed the OEM / retail disc differentiation for 7. Key determines everything, and you can use any key with any disc. I could be wrong of course.

More than likely there is a hidden partition that you can activate at startup to restore the system back to an oobe, as mentioned in POST #4

that partition is pooped, i tried it and get and MBR error. installed windows 7 retail DVD and the funny thing is i only see a the 50GB partition it installed on, the rest of the 320GB of this drive is nowhere to be found, even in drive management.

hmm, same thing happened with my acer. Bought it in january and had that exact thing happen in feb. I ended up fiddling with it for a loooong time before I managed to get myself to the point where I could even reinstall. Finally managed to reinstall and then the same thing happened in August. Ended up downloading UBCD and did a low level format to completely wipe the disk of everything and so far so good.

I use Dariks Boot and Nuke. Wipe it clean and then repartition with the win7 disk. Same as jeoff_b.

Back