Windows 7 Pro 64-bit freezing up and other problems...

ram990

n00b
Hello guys, I cannot accurately diagnose this problem so I thought I'd post it in the OS forum as all my problems started when I moved to Windows 7. Let's see if you guys can help me again :D.

I've had numerous problem along the road with Windows 7 since I installed it and have never got to a stable config that will last longer than a week yet.

My hardware:

XFX nForce 780i SLI mobo
Intel C2D E6600
4GB OCZ Reaper RAM
3x 150GB WD raptors in RAID 0

This is a long story so I'll try and skip to the point asap.

I used to run Windows XP Pro 32-bit on this setup and it's been running fine these past couple of years.

I moved to Windows 7 64 Pro 64-bit and the installation ran fine. Then after a week I started noticing problems. I'd get BSODs, freezes and crashes and then finally it got to the point that I couldn't actually get in to Windows any more. I flashed the BIOS from stock (didn't make a note of what it was) to P.08 and tried to reinstall only to find one of the HDDs had died so I RMAd it and got a replacement. Fair enough, HDDs die sometimes.

I reinstalled on just one HDD using the remaing two as a RAID 0 D drive for games and kept getting problems so I figured okay we're running RAID, that's a layer of complexity I don't need. So restored the C: on to the single disk and got rid of the RAID (now just using 3 separate HDDs) and STILL keep getting problems. Have flashed BIOS now to P.09 and still no joy.

My current situation is this; I boot up and after 2-5 seconds it will freeze up. The only way out is to hold down the power button until it goes. Start it up again and you get the message about Windows not shutting down right so I pick "Start Windows Normally" and 9/10 times it boots up into Windows and works fine. However every now and again you have to do it again. The odd thing is though that even though it gets in to Windows it shows signs of corruption. Like it might forget saved credentials for the Gmail Notifier or for Steam, or Steam might need to reinstall some parts.

Any ideas what I might be missing? I cannot seem to find a pattern.

Oh and I've disabled the Receive Side Scaling on the NICs too that was also causing Windows to freeze up.

Back