Windows 7 - OS won't let me shrink volume.

rkd29980

Limp Gawd
I am trying to partition the Master drive so I can test different OS's but Windows is giving me lip about the drive maybe being corrupted and to use checkdisk to fix the issues. Well I don't want to, I just want Windows to stop talking back to me and to just do the shit I told it to do. I don't care if it thinks the drive is corrupted or if it even is. The PC boots up and runs just fine and as I said, this an old PC that is used for testing only so it is disposable, not like I give a f*^k if it is corrupted or not.

How to I force Windows to do what I want it to do without it making me do a bunch of other shit I don't feel like doing before hand? Is there a good Windows based disk management alternative to the built in option?

I don't want to run check disk on principal alone besides, I deleted it. I always remove it from every Windows installation.

Wait.. are you the same person that doesn't install any Windows updates?

If so.. this MUST be ANOTHER TROLL thread.

Because I don't like going and starting up my computer and unexpectedly see that chkdsk BS and told I have to wait. I am the Human, my computer will wait for me not the other way around. If Windows would tell me a drive is corrupted during use and ask me if I want chkdsk to run on the next restart, that would be different but every time I have had to deal with it, it was unexpectedly during bootup and there were no prior warnings. There have been times in the past when chkdsk would not even give me the option to skip so now I delete it from all my computers.

So why didn't you just use "chkntfs /X C:" instead of removing chkdsk?

well... in hindsight, that would have maybe been better. I am not too familiar with the command prompt so I guess I didn't think to google how to disable it at the time and instead just got pissed off and deleted it. Now I know.

You could try Aomei Partition Assistant. I've used that in the past to resize hard disks without any issues.

Edit: I've used Acronis Disk Director in the past as well but I think you have to pay $30 for it to do what you are asking.

So both of the programs suggested are not free :mad: I am not going to pay money just to do a one time partition. Are there any other good FREE disk management programs out there?

If it is just a test system and you don't care if the files are corrupted or not, why not just get your Win 7 install media, delete all the partitions on the drive, re-partition the drive to the size you wanted it, and re-install on that smaller partition.

What is this nonsense about you want to do X which requires T,U,V, and W to have occurred and you are whining about T, U, V, W instead of just running those processes overnight while you sleep and wake up to a computer ready to do X process. Oh and about you deleting the chkdsk program from your install... well I am sure if you were motivated slightly, you could find the chkdsk.exe file still existent on a system or install media in your household.

Because I don't like going and starting up my computer and unexpectedly see that chkdsk BS and told I have to wait. I am the Human, my computer will wait for me not the other way around. If Windows would tell me a drive is corrupted during use and ask me if I want chkdsk to run on the next restart, that would be different but every time I have had to deal with it, it was unexpectedly during bootup and there were no prior warnings. There have been times in the past when chkdsk would not even give me the option to skip so now I delete it from all my computers.

You keep on doing stuff like that and your computer is going to become total crap.

The file system gets corrupted. It happens. Nothing you can do to stop it. Let the computer fix it before it gets so bad that stuff stops working properly.

When the FAT gets messed up, it can cause crashes, slowness, programs to not work properly, etc.

Just because you think it is inconvenient to wait a few minutes for your computer to do a scan when it needs to, you are going to end up wasting way more time when it completely crashes.

You can lead a horse to water, but can't make it drink.

Back