Windows 7 on a nVidia 680i board, no internet

SLM

n00b
If anyone can help me out here I'd really appreciate it. I installed the x64 version on my 680i based board (Abit IN9 Max 32, e8500 CPU, 4 gigs of ram, 7900 GTX OC vid card) and flatly cannot get it to go online. I've tried the Vista drivers that came on the board disk and two other Vista versions from nVidia's web site. With all versions... After they install and it asks to reboot I click yes and the system reboots. As soon as it gets ready to get to the desktop it reboots its self again and the recovery window comes up. If I cancel it it just continually reboots. If I let it fix the problem and remove the software the system works just fine but I can't get online. It keeps telling me there's no network adapter installed. Well, I know they are there. They're on the board! :confused:

Looking for drivers on nVidia's website is a waste as they tell you to get them using Windows Update. That won't work unless you can get to the internet, lol!!

Any help greatly appreciated! :D

The SATA IDE drivers would be nice so I can use my DVD burners but that would just be gravy if I can get online

Yea, I sent feedback to Microsoft saying they need more drivers for NICs in Win7. It didn't have a driver from the NIC on my Asus P5K mb which is a fairly common mb and has been aroun for quite a while now. Luckily the driver from Asus installed fine and then Microsoft update site had an update for it too.

Try right clicking the installer and setting to Vista compatibility mode and put check in box for run as admin.

I thought of putting a pci nic in but I don't even own one anymore. Who needs em? Even my old P4C800-E board had onboard nic.

I'm going to do a fresh install tomorrow and go from there cuz right now it's a wreck from trying to fix its self.

You need add-on PCI NIC for times like these. I have a few hanging around and they can be bought for dirt cheap. They come in handy if you use Linux too because even Ubuntu doesn't have drivers for all onboard NICs either but they always have a driver fro generic Realtek NIC.

I dug a NIC up at work today. Gonna pop it in and see what happens... :p

That's weird because I have an evga 680i board and I was able to get on the net from the get-go...didn't install a single driver. Does abit use a different controller on their 680 boards?

Are you still having problems? Was it with the ethernet port or Abit Wifi card? Have you tried using the Vista drivers?

i got the eVGA 680i motherboard and the internet worked fine with no errors...

i got the eVGA 680i motherboard and the internet worked fine with no errors...

same. Right out of the install it said i had Video card drivers ready for download, lol so i knew the ethernet drivers installed right

Back