windows 7 oem or retail?

fightingfi

2[H]4U
Ok im going to be upgrading to windows 7 soon and was wondering if its safer to go retail box or save money and go oem. what can i do and what CANT i do between the 2 please. Tanks in Advance :D

You should search this forum, as your question has been asked and answered many, many times. :)

Retail is basically a boxed copy...like what you would buy at a RETAIL store...

OEM means that the software is usually bare (meaning no case, usually just paper sleeve) and is sold at a lower cost because it is sold with hardware...

Other than the method of how they are sold they both are the exact same thing...NOTHING is different other than the packaging they come in.

Technically you are supposed to buy Retail as an end user. But thanks to places like newegg end users can get their hands on OEM copies for much less.

OEM: non-transferable license for one computer (the motherboard constitutes a computer). You cannot legally transfer the OS to a whole new computer.

Retail: license can be transferred without limits (valid for one computer at any one time).

You should search this forum, as your question has been asked and answered many, many times. :)
That could be the understatement of the week.
was wondering if its safer to go retail box or save money and go oem.
Only you can answer this, to be honest. The differences between OEM and retail have been known for almost a decade now, so you have to decide on your plans for your current computer, how you plan to upgrade or replace it, etc. That will be your answer.

Most notably I think you were searching for this answer:

Q. What computer component ties the OEM license to the computer?

A. Short answer – the first motherboard the OS was installed on. In the case of your purchase of an OEM license with a new computer, this license is tied to the motherboard of that system. In the case of a purchase of OEM software from a retail seller, this would be the first motherboard you install the software on, *not* the “hardware” that was bundled with your OEM purchase.

Back