Windows 7 occasionally freezes for a moment as drives unexpecteldy spin up

kobalt

Weaksauce
I have Win7 x64 box with 4 gigs of memory, x25 ssd and two larger sata drives for storage. The system is normally quick and responsive, but at times when in Windows, everything will stop and wait until one of the sata drives spins up ( ~5 seconds, sometimes a bit more ). I'm not sure what gives: I'll be doing something like scrolling through the start menu, or a toolbar, then out of nowhere, all stop - until a drive spins up ( I can see and hear it happening ). Nothing I'm doing should be causing the sata drives to spin up at that very moment. The system is free of malware, I made sure the page file is on the ssd, I even tried running without a page file at all - no dice. What gives?

I can't diagnose the problem, but you could with procmon if you're so inclined. Personally, I would just set the drives to never sleep, it's been shown (google did a HDD study) that running the drives in no-sleep mode is actually better for them, as cooling down then heating up over and over wears them down faster than just spinning all the time.

Will give procmon a go, thanks. I'd like to fix the problem other than just go around it, but if I can't I'll just set the drives to stay awake

Back