Windows 7 Networking Issue (bizzare)

seithon

Gawd
So I have perhaps the most bizarre networking problem I've encountered.

In short I my laptop can ping my PC but my PC can't ping my laptop, I can't setup a home network etc.

Now onto details...

I have DSL Modem/router/wifiAP by linksys WAG160N.
I have a Laptop connecting via Wifi to my router with a fixed IP of 192.168.1.240 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and with a fixed gateway/dns of 192.168.1.1 (router)
The laptop is running Windows 7 Ultimate (the late beta version)

The PC is connected via onboard gigabit Ethernet to the router with a fixed IP of 192.168.1.250 and a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and a fixed gateway/dns of 192.168.1.1(router)
The PC is running Windows 7 Professional (retail)

The laptop can connect to the router and browse the net, host games etc fine without any issues it can also ping to the PC, the windows firewall is off, for both public and private networks.

The PC can connect to the router, login to it, browse the net host most games* fine without any issues and while it can ping the router it can't ping the Laptop, simply responding with "Reply from 192.168.1.250: Destination host unreachable". Its windows firewall is off also, for both public and private networks.

*I can't host games using a java program called Maptool, any attempts to connect to me fail.

Is it possible I've just missed some setting in windows 7 pro that was turned on by default? Or is their some other strange issue at play here?

Would anyone here have any insight into whats going wrong here?

Do both PCs have their network set to home or private in the Network and Sharing Center thingy? Do both PCs have Network Discovery enabled? Did you try joining both to the same Home Group? Also, why the static IPs? DHCP is your friend! :)

What about antivirus software? Some of them have built in firewall services...

One thing I've noticed about W7 is that disabling the firewall service does NOT turn the firewall off. I'm not sure exactly how you had disabled it, but it seems as if it is still running on the laptop. Check it out again.

Do both PCs have their network set to home or private in the Network and Sharing Center thingy? Do both PCs have Network Discovery enabled? Did you try joining both to the same Home Group? Also, why the static IPs? DHCP is your friend! :)

Yep both networks have been set to work on home and to run by those rules so Network Discovery is enabled I also setup the same password on both machines for the home group, static IP's are there so I can forward ports :) UPNP is also turned on in the router :)

The Main PC has Microsofts new AV running on it, which is their security essentials thing, the laptop has AVGfree with no firewall on it currently. As for how I disabled the firewall I did it through the control panel, not by just turning off the service :)

Back