Windows 7 need htpc apps

pheonix991

Limp Gawd
I've got my Ion based HTPC working great with MPC-HC as far as play, pause, volume functions work, but, I still have to use my mouse to get to the videos. I'd use Boxee, Media center or xbmc for playing files, but, I can't get boxee or xbmc to see my video files because they are on another computer, and the problem with media center is, it won't play all my file types. Such as mkv. Is there a way to get it to work with the mkv files? I also have to manually refresh my library under media center every time I want to add a new file to watch. Is there a way to get it to update automatically? Ideal I want to get to the point where I won't have to use my mouse at all to pick out what I want to watch.

If I used mythtv, would I still have these same problems? I'm not against dual booting linux.

That's probably the worst thing you can install.

If MKV files are the only ones that WMC won't play, install a Matroska splitter, such as the one that comes with MPC-HC (standalone) or Haali's Media Splitter.

As was mentioned above, all Win7 needs is a Matroska splitter and you will have full MKV playback capability.

32bit

64bit

64bit one will have to be registered manually.

While you may have full (well, within the limitations of the splitter) MKV parsing capabilities, if the MKV contains streams of some obscure codec, you might need to install additional decoders, a la ffdshow.

I had to install Haali's Media Splitter for windows 7 to recognize .mkv's in media center and ffdshow to play the dts soundtracks.
Definitely install media browser.

lol....

CCCP is not the worst advice. codec packs are not generally the best idea, but CCCP does fine. I have installed it on my HTPC before and it kept hardware acceleration with out issue.

mkvs might have codecs inside that are not supported by 7MC natively and if you tell the OP to just install the splitter he might have mkvs that still dont play.

as it seems that the OP is not encoding his/her own mkvs.....

anyways....

CCCP is installed, I'm still not able to play mkv or h264 under media center. Haali's splitter is installed with cccp too. I'm running 64bit windows 7.

Why do I need an mkv splitter if I already have cccp installed?

As was mentioned above, all Win7 needs is a Matroska splitter and you will have full MKV playback capability.

32bit

64bit

64bit one will have to be registered manually.
I had to install Haali's Media Splitter for windows 7 to recognize .mkv's in media center and ffdshow to play the dts soundtracks.
Definitely install media browser.

This combo fixed me up, thanks a ton guys!

Last edited:
I how do I enable subtitles?

I'm now also getting a really bad echo from the audio. I tried reinstalling all the codecs, they are all back to default settings, still echoing. This is weird because all I was doing was playing with subtitle settings under ffdshow64 trying to get the subtitles working, now I'm getting the echo.

Last edited:
Back