Windows 7 MSDN Version & RTM install now.

Igg

[H]ard|Gawd
I know that W7 Will be available from MSDN but what if the versions doesnt match up?

I remembered Vista having you to pick a version like home premium or business etc.

I was tempted to get RTM now, install home premium now then put in a key later once it's on MSDN or does W7 not bug you about versions?

Well, the only place you're going to "get RTM now" is going to be classified as piracy now that Windows 7 is no longer a beta/RC release. It's a retail product (the actual RTM build) even if it's not quite available yet officially, so, bad idea to discuss such things I suppose.

Windows 7 is no different from Vista in that respect: when you go to install it, you will be asked for a Product Key. If you enter the key at that point and click Next, the key locks in the version - Ultimate Product Key installs Ultimate, Professional installs Professional, etc - just as it did in Vista.

However, if you choose not to input the Product Key at that point, you can click Next and get the option to choose whatever version you wish to install. The issue with that is your key is still locked into the version, so if you choose to install Professional manually, and you have a Product Key for Ultimate, and later on you try to activate by putting in the key after the installation, it's going to fail because it's the wrong key.

MSDN will have all the available versions: Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate, and the keys MSDN generates for you will be tied to each version. TechNet will work the same way.

You can wait 2 weeks to get it legally without a chance of tampering? It's not that good.

Back