Windows 7 missing graphics driver 852GM

MrF

Gawd
Installed Windows 7 Pro (RTM) on an old laptop, Toshiba Satellite A35-S159 originally released with XP Home.
Went through windows update and got all the available drivers (Sound, LAN, wireless LAN) from optional updates.
The device manager showed the standard VGA driver to be used for the display adapter. It also showed a single missing driver for Video Adapter or something like that.
Playing a DVD movie using Windows Media Player would fail with an error message.
The manufacturer only offers XP drivers.
Installing the XP driver fails. It is removed after a reboot and replaced by the standard VGA driver.

Did not find a solution online.
Solved the problem. This post describes what I did.

Installed Vista Ultimate SP2 without activating (30-day trial).
The proper display adapter driver is installed right off the bat, no need for Windows update.

Installed free DriverMax (http://www.drivermax.com/).
Action: Backup drivers. Selected only the display adapter driver to be saved and saved to external media.

Restored Windows 7.
In device manager, expanded display adapter and updated driver. Clicked on "Browse ...", "Let me pick ..." and "Have Disk". Navigated to the saved driver (exported using DriverMax from Vista) and expanded to the .inf file inside. Let it update. It warned that the driver was not digitally signed. Clicked on the install anyway option.
Rebooted.

After reboot, a driver update message came up suggesting a successful update.
There are no missing drivers in the device manager. Proper driver showing under the display adapter instead of the standard VGA driver.
Both displays, the LCD and the VGA port, show now under the device manager, and desktop Screen Resolution window.

DVD movies play fine now.

Last edited:
You're lucky. I've got an older laptop with a ATI Radeon Mobility 7500, which is the ONLY thing holding it back from an upgrade to 7 or even Vista.

Nice moves. I honestly would not have thought of that. My wife's3yr old gateway is having some dvd playback issues, I might look into this to see if it fixes it.

Back