Windows 7 mirroring questions

Suprnova04

Limp Gawd
I have no experience with RAID setups, other than what I've read, but a company whose services we have purchased has required us to setup two PCs--one as a server and one as a client--with mirrored drives. They will be running Windows 7 Pro, and I figured that this can be done fairly easily through the disk management application. I started wondering though if mirroring the boot drive is going to cause problems.

I'm a total novice at this, so if there are flaws in my thinking/plan please let me know!

Thanks in advance for the help.
-Dan-

so the server has two hard drives that would be mirrored, and the workstation would have two hard drives that would be mirrored? just to clarify- you arent trying to mirror one PC to the other right?

it shouldnt be a problem, but depends on what type of work load the two computers will see. running a large database or something with lots of random read/writes is much different then a regular desktop that you check your email and make some spreadsheets on.

windows RAID in general isnt very good, but just mirroring a drive shouldnt be a problem. what OS is the server running?

Correct.. drives would be mirrored in each machine.. not trying to do from one machine to another.

This is for something in production that I don't really know a whole lot about, other than what I'm told to do lol.. something about saving settings from a machine out in the factory. I don't think the workload will be too intense.

These will both be running windows 7 pro.

I did this for awhile with two 1.5TB Drives under Windows 7. I would just suggest doing the following:

1. Make sure Write Cache is DISABLED on both drives
2. Setup both machines on separate UPS's
3. Make sure you have a backup going on both machines to a NAS or other external storage.

Would disabling the write cache be to prevent data loss in case of a power outage/UPS failure?

Back