Windows 7: Microphone automatically muting itself

I3eyond

Gawd
Joined
Jan 14, 2006
Messages
937
Yesterday, I made a Skype call just fine.

Today, my microphone is muting itself automatically, but not on the Skype end....on Windows 7's end.



Under Sound>Recording>Levels in the above attached screenshot, I can unmute the icon and move the volume up.

But, it only lasts for about 1-5 seconds.

Oh, and this happens with any style of microphone I use. USB/Analog...it doesn't matter, no matter what, it reverts to mute.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
-I3
 
I remember a thread about this issue: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1489252&highlight=

you can try the stuff from there as a last resort.
Personally I thought it might be a output->input positive feedback issue on the soundcard or elsewhere due to faulty power/components.
Does Windows automagically lower the input volume as the source strength approaches clipping levels.
I apologise if this is useless but try this quick experiment:
1. disconnect all headphones and speakers. Only leave a mic. Does it still happen?
2. disable the '+20db mic boost' feature in the Windows mixer settings - does it still happen?
3. disable all effects and equalizers, noise cancellers and the plethora of features bundled these days
4. get an audio combine like Goldwave and record the phenomenon - even by the noise floor waveform you'll be able to tell if your input signal is increasing with time - again - proving positive feedback.
 
Back
Top