Windows 7 mandatory profiles not working

I am trying to setup mandatory profiles for Windows 7 so I can swap out some XP computers with Win 7

They have been using XP mandatory profiles for years.

I created 2 new test users and pointed them to the Mandatory profile
\\server\users\public\mandatory

The folder is \\server\users\public\mandatory.v2

Whenever I try to login as one of the users I either get a temporary profile or "the user profile service failed the logon"

I have tried several different methods to create the mandatory profile on the server.

I have domain user named "Mandatory" that I pointed to that path. I logged in, configured the profile, logged out, went to another computer logged in as mandatory and that works.

Other users won't pull the profile. I changed the permissions so domain users and read and write access. I have tried it with full permissions too.

I have created a profile using the mandatory user pointed to a different location and copied it over.

I have copied local computer profiles onto the server.
I even went and loaded the ntuser.dat hive into regedit and edited permissions so authenticated users have access to it.

I copied the mandatory profile and into C:\users and renamed it C:\users\default (which is what I have done with local profiles for years with no issues)
Then I right clicked my computer, went to properties -> advanced -> users, and used the "copy to" option granting permissions to authenticated users to copy the default profile to the server.

None of these solutions work.

What is going on?

Hi scottatwittenberg,

I think this may a bit late, but I recently ran into the same/similar issue with the profiles not loading when the user logs on to the network.

I have the profile now stored in the \Netlogon folder of the server.

This seems to have resolved the issue also make sure you have the .V2 on the folder and not in the profile path.

Back