Windows 7 launch events?

FromTheLou

[H]ard|Gawd
Has anyone heard anything about any Windows 7 launch events? I've enjoyed my Vista & Win2k8 launch events and was hoping there will be a Windows 7 event as well.

I'm sure there will be, just as they've done with all the major OS releases of late. Few weeks and they'll be announcing specific dates/times/cities, etc.

The server 2008 one in Boston was sick. The goodie bag and lunch they gave out were not bad at all. Free copy of server 2k8 and a vista license. cha-ching. :)

The server 2008 one in Boston was sick. The goodie bag and lunch they gave out were not bad at all. Free copy of server 2k8 and a vista license. cha-ching. :)

Same thing in St Louis. You can't beat free software and a decent zippered insulated lunch bag for free. I was able to convince work to give me the time off paid to attend. I can only hope they do the same thing for Windows 7!

Same thing in St Louis. You can't beat free software and a decent zippered insulated lunch bag for free. I was able to convince work to give me the time off paid to attend. I can only hope they do the same thing for Windows 7!

Must be hourly??

I've never had any of these close enough to go to. I'd think Dallas would probably be the best bet, and that's 5 hours...

Must be hourly??

I've never had any of these close enough to go to. I'd think Dallas would probably be the best bet, and that's 5 hours...

No, I'm a salaried employee. If work didn't approve the time, then I'd have to take sick/personal/vacation time to attend. Let's hope there is one closer to you this time!

I heard something about Microsoft opening their own chain of stores sort of like the Apple stores. It's supposed to take place "this fall". Maybe that might have something to do with Windows 7 and launch events.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/168495/microsoft_our_retail_stores_will_open_near_apples.html
You'd think they'd be building this stuff NOW though. I mean, Windows 7 launch is 3 months away...

No, I'm a salaried employee. If work didn't approve the time, then I'd have to take sick/personal/vacation time to attend. Let's hope there is one closer to you this time!
Ahhh ok. You must just work 40 hours or not in upper management?

For me, taking time to do something like this not only furthers education (which is good for work), but also since I regularly work over 40 hours anyway, it's not that big of deal to take off.

Only time I ever take time off if I'm gone from the office all-day long for personal reasons :)

True, but why burn one of your vacation days, when you can easily go to an event like this, on the company's dime? I'd easily take a day off if it meant a free license with some good info, but if I can save the vacation day, and even expense my travel and parking, why not? No need to get somewhat insulting over job titles or rank, although something like this should be available to any IT worker.

You'd think they'd be building this stuff NOW though. I mean, Windows 7 launch is 3 months away...
It only takes about a month to setup shop in a mall. Who know.. it could happen. Microsoft has a huge amount of resources at their disposal. They're planning on doing stores this fall, and it coincides at the right time.

True, but why burn one of your vacation days, when you can easily go to an event like this, on the company's dime?

That's what I'm saying.

If you work over 40+ hours a week, you should have flexibility without having to take ANY time off.
However if you're not "management" then you're usually limited to just 40 anyway, so it'd be more understandable.

I think the law more or less says as long as you work your usual 40 hours, you can take 4 hours in a day off with no problem.

If they wanted to move in, they could lease a spot someplace in a mall and have it up and running inside of a week, or less. Throw money at it, get it done, I've seen it happen before...

I really don't see this as a good idea, however, but more of a way to stick it in Apple's eye. It sure as hell ain't about profit...

I really don't see this as a good idea, however, but more of a way to stick it in Apple's eye. It sure as hell ain't about profit...

That's more of my concern... Microsoft has been pretty good about taking the higher road on this stuff. This has them stepping right up to the line.

However, what with NATAL, ZUNEHD, WINDOWS 7.... Microsoft is in a very good position to be doing this though. I think they're getting ready to remind Apple who is boss, IMO.

I think the law more or less says as long as you work your usual 40 hours, you can take 4 hours in a day off with no problem.
This wouldn't have anything to do with laws, at least not up here. For each and every company I've been with, this has been governmed by company policy, and even down to agreements with your manager. Non-management isn't limited to 40 hours a week, unless it is a company policy as well. I've been in hourly positions where I've worked over 40, and been in salaried positions where I definitely went over 40.

In a company that understands training and technology, it shouldn't be an issue at all to attend something like this, without burning a vacation day, though, so I agree with you there.

Same, was well worth the time. the presentations on the new features were great also.

Were you there when that guy showing off SQL server 2008 forgot the other guys name? lol

Same, was well worth the time. the presentations on the new features were great also.

Were you there when that guy showing off SQL server 2008 forgot the other guys name? lol

hahaha nope. I saw a guy from a hospital basically give a yay rah! SQL 2008 saved us and made our DB's work great.

These MS stores look interesting. And I think they will do fine as long as they aren't staffed by idiots.

You'd think they'd be building this stuff NOW though. I Ahhh ok. You must just work 40 hours or not in upper management?

For me, taking time to do something like this not only furthers education (which is good for work), but also since I regularly work over 40 hours anyway, it's not that big of deal to take off.

Only time I ever take time off if I'm gone from the office all-day long for personal reasons :)

Shit, I wish only worked 40 hours a week. We have a couple projects that I've been working on the last 6 weeks and NOT counting the monthly trips to the EU I'm working 14 hour days, 6 days a week. Even though I am salaried I do accrue PTO past 45 hrs/week.

I took my first vacation time of the year last month and had to deal with my boss calling me in San Fran @ 5:56am! Granted he is on the east coast and he had no idea I was in California, but even on vacation I ended up putting in two half days.

In the past (Vista/Win2k8/Developer track technet sessions/vmware sessions) I've had no problem getting this time off paid to attend these functions. And honestly I don't see it being an issue this time either, but I'd rather not count my chickens before they are hatched.

Now as far as the law and working your 40 hours go, most states IIRC have exempt & non-exempt positions for overtime. I just happen to live in one of those states.

Back