Windows 7 keeps deactivating

I'm not sure what to make of it but I've had to reactivate Windows 7 for the 3rd or 4th time now since I've had it installed. I did a clean install in mid-August of Win7 Pro x64 on my laptop and every so often it would ask me to activate windows. I'm able to enter my key and reactivate just fine but it's just annoying having to look up the key and re-enter it. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Does it tell you that your hardware changed and needs to reactivate? Is it OEM, Retail, or RC?

I don't remember if it mentioned any specifics such as hardware change. It's an MSDNAA key so I assume it's similar to a retail key. I have no problems reactivating with the same key and it'll say windows is activated and I can go on my merry way. Is it possible someone is generating the key I'm using thus deactivating my install?

Do you have contact information where you got your key from? They may be able to switch it out and let them know your problem. Or you could contact MS and have them deactivate your current key and maybe get a new one?

Only happened once to me so far. Couldn't even do it over the Internet, had to call a number and sit through a drawn out process of entering an activation code the size of a nuclear launch code to keep using my computer...

My daughters netbook kept deactivating as well, I traced the problem to a bad sector on the hard drive. Running chkdsk on the drive has solved the problem.

Back