[Windows 7 issue] Users Given Temporary Profile?

I'm having a problem with user accounts on Windows 7. When I log on to an account, it seems the other users profiles aren't accessible, perhaps due to permissions? I didn't do anything with them, yet they're assigned temporary profiles for some reason. the only fix I have is to restart my comp, the original profile is accessible again when I do this.

Could this be applications conflicting with my profiles? I've reinstalled windows before and the problem is reoccuring. It's fairly annoying when I log in to administrator to do things.

also, my copy of windows was installed with the official 32-bit iso, it's not a frankenbuild

The following works for me in a domain environment. I haven't seen this issue on a workgroup computer.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Look there and if you see any subkey names with .bak at the end, delete it/them. Or back it up and then delete it, whichever floats your boat. Move the profile folder from the users folder to a backup location. Guaranteed to fix your problem if you find it there. If it comes back, you have some issues with profiles unloading properly when you log off/shut down, probably due to some process messin wit' yo' shit. :)

I'm having a problem with user accounts on Windows 7. When I log on to an account, it seems the other users profiles aren't accessible, perhaps due to permissions? I didn't do anything with them, yet they're assigned temporary profiles for some reason. the only fix I have is to restart my comp, the original profile is accessible again when I do this.

Could this be applications conflicting with my profiles? I've reinstalled windows before and the problem is reoccuring. It's fairly annoying when I log in to administrator to do things.

also, my copy of windows was installed with the official 32-bit iso, it's not a frankenbuild

I have had something similar to this happen. Check eventlog and I bet you will find errors saying that the user's NTUSER.DAT is in use and could not be opened. If that is the case then you have a program that is loading the hive but not unloading it. As to what it could be, I would check your AV first. If its not that you are going to have to have some fun with procmon.

Back